Blender3D - Importer / Exporter Question

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

HistoryGuy

Blender3D - Importer / Exporter Question

Post by HistoryGuy »

Hello,

I am a newbie 3D modeler, who has come to become attached to Blender3D, despite my past experiences with Maya PLE, and gmax. I was wondering if the Blender Development Team would take it into consideration of the possibility of upgrading / improving the .3ds exporter / importer. I ask this mainly because some of the games developed now adays require the .3ds extension for their 3d models, and as such those who want to mod some of their favorite games are in capable of doing so.

Thank you for reading this and possibily considering it for an improvement in Blender 3D - 2.42. :)

- HistoryGuy
"Those who fail history, are doomed to repeat it." - Former Teacher

preacher_mg

Out of curiusity...

Post by preacher_mg »

What games use the 3DS format?

HistoryGuy

Post by HistoryGuy »

Basically all games use the .3ds format. Mainly because 3ds Max is the leading graphics program in creating characters (or other organic models) as well as architecture. Maya (.obj) is mainly used for Animation and the creation of short films. It'd be nice to be able to tie in the gap between 3dsm and Maya with Blender3D.

Some games that use the .3ds format:

+ Rise of Nations (developed by Big Huge Games)

and

+ Rome: Total War (developed by Creative Assembly)

There are plenty of other examples, I'm an RTS fan, and as such have selected the two games I enjoy playing the most.
"Those who fail history, are doomed to repeat it." - Former Teacher