New Feature: Dual Mouse Possibilities

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

deepwaterblack

New Feature: Dual Mouse Possibilities

Post by deepwaterblack » Fri Mar 24, 2006 2:28 am

People don't immediately bash the idea, but I think that after trying Maya Unlimted, 3Ds Max, Softimage Foundation, and Blender. I have come to believe that everyone of them has missed one important key feature that could greatly improve productivity. The idea of having a dual mouse. Imagine the possibilities! You can rotate and zoom the camera with one hand and with the other hand you can select that back face.

Blender would be the only one to have this feature, that if used properly could double productivity time.

Give me your feedback.

z3r0_d

Post by z3r0_d » Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:32 am

my left hand is incapable of properly controlling a second mouse

is yours any better?

LetterRip

Post by LetterRip » Fri Mar 24, 2006 6:02 am

I suggested something similar to Ton awhile back (dual mice, or mouse with a pen tablet, oor spaceball etc). After the ghost refactor (in progress by lukep probably after 2.42) and event refactor (scheduled for after 2.42 by Ton) it might be possible.

LetterRip

deepwaterblack

Post by deepwaterblack » Fri Mar 24, 2006 6:26 am

Yeah, thou the point I would really like to put across is that it has never been done before. You could set it up not to be perfectly precise but just to allow you to rotate and look around in the blender 3d view at the same time as being able to select objects and like everything even using an N64 controller for the first time it is going to be a learning curve.

LetterRip

Post by LetterRip » Fri Mar 24, 2006 8:05 am

deepwaterblack,
thou the point I would really like to put across is that it has never been done before.
from discussion with others it might be supported in other programs already, but yes I thought it was quite cool and unique as well :) I'd also suggested game controller support (I actually tried a game controller with Blender on Windows and it works, but not very well - biggest issue is not near enough buttons for doing everything you want...).

My desire was that I could rotate and adjust adjust animation at the same time or rotate and sculpt at the same time, or be zoomed in and have one control pan things while keeping the other relatively stationary.

LetterRip

naught101

Post by naught101 » Fri Mar 24, 2006 8:08 am

game controller + keyboard? does that work?

LetterRip

Post by LetterRip » Fri Mar 24, 2006 9:16 am

yep,

I used a saitek game controller, however, you basically need both hands on the controller, and taking the hand off the controller and hitting a button on the keyboard is too slow and there aren't enough keys to map to (actually I'd probably map most of the common menus now) also moving via a controller was fairly slow it is mostly good for tumbling and such but not much for precision mouse movement...

LetterRip

Caronte

Post by Caronte » Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:29 am

LetterRip wrote:...moving via a controller was fairly slow it is mostly good for tumbling and such but not much for precision mouse movement...
Wrong!
Is not for precision if the controller is not so precise.

I used a SpaceBall (3d controller) with an patched Blender (from StealthAprentice) and the feedback is awesome, you can feel like if the objects are in your hand :shock:
Caronte.
"Some Day, All Will Be Digital"
http://www.nicodigital.com

LetterRip

Post by LetterRip » Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:39 am

A spaceball is quite different from a game controller :) I think trackballs are awesome for precision work, analog sticks suck though :)

LetterRip

joeri

Post by joeri » Fri Mar 24, 2006 11:30 am

I think I rather have an extra keyboard then an extra mouse.
I'm not going to select a moving face.

deepwaterblack

Post by deepwaterblack » Fri Mar 24, 2006 9:10 pm

Well now the professionals are also taking this game controller approach for example a show called Jane and the Dragon uses a nintendo game controller to do their animation it makes everything more human and dynamic.

deepwaterblack

Post by deepwaterblack » Fri Mar 24, 2006 9:15 pm

just write a patch for a xbox 360 controller everyone can get there hands on one of those. Plus their are a crapload of buttons, the center button can be assigned the task for options depending on what you are doing. It has two analog sticks one for your mouse pointer and the other to naivigate, rotate, zoom and pan. Plus it can then be used as a game controller during the live test.

Fred_Pyo

Post by Fred_Pyo » Tue Mar 28, 2006 11:25 pm

Hi,

Well, who didn't ever dream about havign a dual mouse setup... just for the fun of it? Indeed it could be quite interesting to mess with... but... I don't think that having two mice would double the productivity... (now if you had three arms... it would be a totaly different story).

What I mean is, Blender relies heavily on hotkeys, HEAVILY. That is, if you had to alternate one of your hands constantly between the mouse and the keyboard, you'd be actually loosing a good amount of time (overhead?).

Still it could be very fun!

bmud

Post by bmud » Mon Jan 29, 2007 4:17 pm

BUMP!
With the advent of the Wiimote, I think we have a whole new can of worms on our hands... though I will be the first to admit that tilt-detection is a tad bit flawed because it uses accelerometers instead of a gyro. Secondly, I find it intriguing that depth(zoom) could be manipulated directly. www.wiili.org