Fullscreen-Mode on Win with nVidia

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

FastEddy

Fullscreen-Mode on Win with nVidia

Post by FastEddy » Wed Apr 12, 2006 11:15 am

I know some reasons for keeping the fullscreen mode on above named system switched off in the builds, but could it be possible to provide this feature in future builds? Perhaps as a separate downloadable build?

I use Bellorums build at the moment, and i like it, because the fullscreen mode gives me some more place - not much, but it's some place. ;-)

Having this in releases would be great. :-)

FastEddy
[D X I . s t u d i o s] --- [ Join my current project: SF2 Intro-Animation ]

Howitzer

Post by Howitzer » Mon Apr 17, 2006 9:07 pm

I hear it's because ATI cards have a problem with it.

I like the full screen mode too. And it would be great if it can be added as a command line operator. I know Linux version start full screen automatically, and you have to start it with -W to make it start in a window, if the Windows version had a -Full command operator, it would make a lot of people very happy.

SirDude

Post by SirDude » Tue Apr 18, 2006 4:53 pm

Actually on linux you use -w to specifiy in a window
in windows you use -W to specify full screen.

FastEddy

Post by FastEddy » Wed Apr 19, 2006 1:02 pm

I talk about the real fullscreen mode on windows systems, not the maximized window. the real fullscreen mode (without window borders and title bar!) is deactivated by default because there are some problems with debugging or so (okay, there are some UI-errors like blacking out of the 3d-view when the render-window comes up, but nothing else yet on MY system here...).
and this fullscreen mode I talk about can't be activated using -W in most standard compiles (or especially the official releases). I just tested it with the actual official 2.41, and there is ideed only the maximized window with borders - NOT real fullscreen like in Bellorums CVS-Build.

FastEddy

stiv

Post by stiv » Wed Apr 19, 2006 5:13 pm

the real fullscreen modeis deactivated by default because there are some problems with debugging or so
No, there were problems with crashing, iirc. (I'm too lazy to go look for the bug reports)

We don't like it when features crash our application. Until that problem gets resolved, I would not expect to see fullscreen mode supported on Windows.

FastEddy

Post by FastEddy » Wed Apr 19, 2006 5:30 pm

No, there were problems with crashing, iirc. (I'm too lazy to go look for the bug reports)
okay, the last thread/post I read about this (please don't ask me where) told about a debugging problem with fullscreen on, but maybe there was to read "debugging problems because of app crashing".
In fact I only wanted to make clear that I know about the reasons for the deactivated fullscreen mode, and this reason above was the only one I actually remembered.
Nevermind. Though it would be very nice having a possibility to switch fullscreen-mode on (The Idea with cmd-switch is not bad at all).
I don't like it, too, if some features crash an app, but I tested the Bellorum Build since he has posted it on march 21 this year, and I had only one crash, and that, I think, had another reason and was not reproduceable).