Error message: Unable to Open

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

wschwisow

Error message: Unable to Open

Post by wschwisow » Thu Apr 13, 2006 1:04 am

Hello all:

I recently updraded my G5 Mac to OSX 10.4.5, and now Blender won't launch.

I receive the following error messages:

Loading USER=Wayne failed: Unable to open

or I receive:

Loading SHELL=/bin/bash failed: Unable to open.

Any idea how to fix this and get it working again?

Thanks!

solmax

Post by solmax » Thu Apr 13, 2006 10:48 pm

do you get those messages from the console? are there any more?

the messages don't seem to be blender related. maybe somethings wrong with the permissions (they get screwed up over time). go and launch Disk utility, then Repair premissions on your system volume. maybe this will help.

Marin

wschwisow

Post by wschwisow » Thu Apr 13, 2006 11:59 pm

When I launch Blender, I get a full gray screen without any of the tools or menus, and the error messages I mentioned show up in small outlined boxes wherever my cursor is at the time. First I get the 2 "Unable to Open" messages, then I get "ERROR: Loading_CF_USER_TEXT_ENCODING=0x1FB:0:0 failed: <invalid read error>.

After that it crashes and disappears. I did switch to a widescreen flat monitor recently, and a workmate replaced his G4 Mac with a new widescreen iMac, and his copy won't launch either. Could it be an issue with the widescreen?

Thanks for your reply.

solmax

Post by solmax » Mon Apr 17, 2006 6:28 pm

strange, never heard of anything like that.. somehow it sounds like something is screwed up with the default file blender opens. Try to locate the file called .B.blend, erase it and start blender again.

Do you use international (smooth) fonts in blender?

wschwisow

Post by wschwisow » Mon Apr 17, 2006 9:59 pm

I couldn't find any type of file like that. I'm on a Mac, would that make a difference? I found and deleted the original preference file, but it didn't help. I'm not sure about the fonts either, since I can't get Blender open to look.

solmax

Post by solmax » Tue Apr 18, 2006 9:41 am

wschwisow wrote:I couldn't find any type of file like that. I'm on a Mac, would that make a difference? I found and deleted the original preference file, but it didn't help. I'm not sure about the fonts either, since I can't get Blender open to look.
It's located either in your home folder /Users/YourName/.B.blend or inside the Blender Program Package (yes it appears as a sinlge file but is actually a directory containing all files that blender needs to run). in either way, use the shell (program "Terminal" in /Application/Utilities/) to locate the file. It's a so called dot file (because it starts with a dot :) ), and those aren't shown in the Finder. Alternatively, download "TinkerTool" and use it to make dto files visible inside the Finder.

Hope that helps

wschwisow

Post by wschwisow » Tue Apr 18, 2006 6:11 pm

I downloaded TinkerTool and ran it, but still had no luck finding a file by that name (or anything close to it). I'm currently downloading OS X 10.4.6 to see if that makes any difference running Blender. I appreciate all of your suggestions.