Pyton Whaaa? All I want to do is import. It USED to work...

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

cadavatar

Pyton Whaaa? All I want to do is import. It USED to work...

Post by cadavatar »

Blender WAS a great tool for changing formats of objects. I'm a MicroStation user and rely on DXF or DWG for acquiring objects.

Someone told me of Blender. I downloaded it. It was terriffic. It worked.

Until one time I went to use it. I got this stupid Python error, check console message. What console? I'm sitting at a console. I'm not a software geek. What the heck are they talking about... console.

Ever since then... it's been a waste of bytes.

I uninstalled it completely (supposedly), restarted it... reinstalled it, and the fresh install was just as useless as the software I removed.

What the heck is going on? Why is blender now a digital paperweight?

Better yet, what can I do to turn this from an utter disappointment, back into something useful?

cadavatar

By the way...

Post by cadavatar »

I'm trying to import 3DS files. I don't know if other file formats cannot be imported, either. I might try that out of desperation tonight. Hopefully at least that will work.

Also, I did a full install, and I tried reinstalling the software a few times. I should have known that tactic wouldn't have worked after the first try.

This is really, really bugging me. The software worked great, then *poof*... useless, no matter what I try.

z3r0_d

Post by z3r0_d »

what script is failing to work?

you've deleted the "Blender Foundation" folder from program files after uninstalling?

cadavatar

Post by cadavatar »

The Python Script (?).

I tried reinstalling into a different folder, which I expect would be the same as bothering to delete the prior installation folder, since the install should point the registry entries to the new install folder anyway.

LetterRip

Post by LetterRip »

I'd do uninstall via the control panel for both, then delete the folders. Then reinstall or download the ziped version and open it.

DXF import doesn't use python so I don't see how that would affect anything. However you can download python 2.4 from python.org. (Blender has a subset of python included with it that will work for most scripts, but for a subset of scripts require a full python install).

LetterRip

cadavatar

Post by cadavatar »

I get the error message while attempting to import 3DS. This dosen't seem to have anything to do with DXF, because I would export to that, but I never get to the point where I could export to DXF anymore because the import dosen't work.

lusque

Post by lusque »

Cadavatar, fear not! :D
Your problem has been solved already, read this:
http://www.blender.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7992

cadavatar

Post by cadavatar »

Thanks... I will try this when I get home tonite, afterwhich you will either receive praise worthy of a messiah :D ...or more questions :roll:

Either way, all help is graciously appreciated.