Outliner needs horizontal scroll

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

aligorith

Outliner needs horizontal scroll

Post by aligorith » Wed May 31, 2006 5:51 am

Hi,

Unless I'm totally missing something here, the outliner needs horizontal scrolling. Currently, it can only scroll vertically.

No horizontal scrolling is ok, as long as your object names are short, you are not viewing stuff that is several layers deep (i.e. armature bones are one example), you have a wide (and possibly dedicated) monitor for it.

Should be relatively simple to do, I think.

Aligorith

aligorith

Post by aligorith » Thu Jun 01, 2006 8:42 am

I see that nobody has responded to this yet, so some questions:

How is the vertical scrolling accomplished now?

Does the outliner_height function have any part to play in this (I'm guessing it does, in which case something similar would need to be concocted for horizontal scrolling)

What are the OL_H and OL_X values for?

Aligorith

Auralis

Post by Auralis » Thu Jun 01, 2006 1:04 pm

Not only a horizontal scrol, but a better vertical scroll as well.
In fact all scrolls do suck in blender.

aligorith

Post by aligorith » Sun Jun 04, 2006 11:06 am

I see that in the code, the outliner at some stage had code that made it scrollable two-ways, but that code is commented out, and the current style in use is the single L_Scroll.

Does someone know why this change was made?

I'm guessing it might have something to do with the possibility that the code to do so wasn't really in place (no function to determine the horizontal extents of the outliner).

Aligorith

artisanicview

Post by artisanicview » Mon Jun 05, 2006 12:16 am

Auralis wrote:Not only a horizontal scrol, but a better vertical scroll as well.
In fact all scrolls do suck in blender.
Really? You know how to scrol the text window in both horizontally and vertically directions? Simply Press the scrool mouse butoon and voala! You can scrol werry easy in what direction you want.

I hope the same function will be implemented in the Outliner windows. Also the OOPS schematic from the same outliner window have this scrooling function. So I think will not be so hard to implement this function.

stiv

Post by stiv » Mon Jun 05, 2006 9:11 am

Scroll bars are for girly-men.
Use the middle mouse button.

fobsta

Post by fobsta » Mon Jun 05, 2006 5:52 pm

There were originally more features planned for the outliner.

http://www.blender.org/cms/Outliner.437.0.html

http://mke3.net/blender/interface/layout/outliner/

Coders just need reminding of them :wink:

Auralis

Post by Auralis » Mon Jun 05, 2006 7:07 pm

artisanicview wrote: Really? You know how to scrol the text window in both horizontally and vertically directions? Simply Press the scrool mouse butoon and voala! You can scrol werry easy in what direction you want.
I know that, however it its subobtimal if you have say 1000+ objects in the outliner.

aligorith

Post by aligorith » Thu Jun 08, 2006 1:06 pm

Now that I've got a working build-environment, I can start experimenting with how to add this.

In my latest attempt, I've got it working to some degree ;) However, there are some problems which I'm still trying to investigate:
- After creating a new outliner space, the outliner contents are all pushed off to the right, seemingly to the size that the space was when created.
Hints anyone?

- Horizontal bars do not draw infinite-ly yet
the line in question is

Code: Select all

glRecti(0, ystart, (int)soops->v2d.mask.xmax, ystart+OL_H); 
I know that the values I want to change are argument 1 and 3. But what do I put there instead?

- on old blend files, existing outliner views don't want to support these features (out of scope of my work, but might look into it. I suspect it's got to do with the way spaces function - once the space has been init-ted, it stays that way, and passes its settings to whatever might live there next.

I probably should read up on this, but what is v2d->tot. I know that tot is some kind of struct/variable attached that is part of the v2d variable (or whatever the term is)

Aligorith

aligorith

Post by aligorith » Thu Jun 08, 2006 1:22 pm

Well, I seem to have solved point 2 already! by doing:

Code: Select all

glRecti((int)soops->v2d.cur.xmin, ystart, (int)soops->v2d.cur.xmax, ystart+OL_H);

it seems to work ok. If I shouldn't be doing that, I would like to know.

Tomorrow, I will tackle number 1. I hope it might only involve changing a few settings and then bang. It's fixed.

More tomorrow,
Aligorith

ElBarto

Post by ElBarto » Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:26 am

There are a lot of features missing in the outliner and the interface could adopt the new interface of the node editor:

Uniform GUI and workflow for the Oops
http://www.neeneenee.de/blender/features/#29

Uniform workflow for the Outliner
http://www.neeneenee.de/blender/features/#31
Karamba!
Bart.

http://www.area42.de/

Blender Feature Proposal:
http://www.neeneenee.de/blender/features/

aligorith

Post by aligorith » Mon Jun 19, 2006 2:04 pm

Yay!

I've finally got this working as it should! There are only two minor annoyances, but these are a result of other parts of blender and not my code.

Unfortunately, this is too late for 2.42, as it's already CVS freeze mode. However, after cleaning this up and checking if anything else needs to be done, I will submit a patch to the patch tracker tomorrow.

Aligorith

aligorith

Post by aligorith » Wed Jun 21, 2006 9:31 am

I submitted the patch yesterday. Now, time to bug some people with commit rights to commit it...

Aligorith