How can I break the tooltips on two lines?

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

BogdanOancea

How can I break the tooltips on two lines?

Post by BogdanOancea »

I know this is not directly related to the Blender Summer of Docs, but I have a question about translating Blender's UI, and here's the best place:

I translated part of the Blender UI in my language with LaunchPad, but I can't make the long tooltips appear on two lines. They appear ok in LaunchPad (I can get two lines by hitting Enter on the keyboard), but the resulting .mo file ignores the 'row break' -- the tooltips don't "break". There are only two "boxes" where the break should be (unrecognized characters)

Way-too-long tooltips are a pain, so is there a trick or a low-tech manual editing routine that would help? Or is Blender the "guilty party" for not recognizing the row breaks?

bogdan
Last edited by BogdanOancea on Sun Jun 04, 2006 5:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

franzrogar

Post by franzrogar »

Insert code "\n" (without the quotes) that means \newline

timmeh

Post by timmeh »

Blende Summer of Docs is NOT the best place for a question like this.

Moved to Interface and Tools

-Tim

BogdanOancea

Post by BogdanOancea »

Thank you, Franz, for the reply, and my appologies for posting it in the wrong place.

Anyway, placing \n there doesn't work. :? Maybe I did something wrong? Any help is appreciated.

paprmh

Post by paprmh »

have you seen Campbell Barton's patch? I think that is what you are looking for

BogdanOancea

Post by BogdanOancea »

So you're saying that I should just go ahead with "\n" and those tooltips will appear on two lines in 2.42? Or is the patch included in some testing build, so that I can check it beforehand?

paprmh

Post by paprmh »

you would need a build with that patch for "/n" to break the tooltip into 2 lines...

if you are on windows, I could try to apply the patch and compile a test build for you to try...I usually post a new build on Sun night anyway

then if it works right, bug the devs to commit the patch before 2.42 :wink:

BogdanOancea

Post by BogdanOancea »

Yep, that would help. I have access to a windows box at work, so I could test there a build with that patch. If you take the time to compile it, mention it here also. :)

paprmh

Post by paprmh »

I couldn't get cvs to compile last night but today everything compiled nicely...including the patch :)

I have a windows full release zip here...(I couldn't find an email address for you....)

Test to see if it works for you

aligorith

Post by aligorith »

I couldn't get cvs to compile last night but today everything compiled nicely
Yeah, I was having some problems compiling last night, with one stubborn one around the radiosity code. I'll have another try later today...

Aligorith

BogdanOancea

Post by BogdanOancea »

Thanks, man, for including the patch. I tested it, and unfortunately it doesn't work, no matter what the UI language is selected in the preferences. On the contrary, it misplaces and pixelates the tooltips as you can see below:

I colored the pointer in red, just to see it clearly.

So it seems the patch is not ready for adoption yet... :roll:
Campbell, if you're not too busy, can you see what's wrong?

ideasman

Post by ideasman »

Bummer about the multiline toolips not working :/
I havnt got enough time at the moment to work on this. but its would be nice to include at some point.

My tests worked with bitmap fonts, interested to see if that build works with bitmap fonts.

BogdanOancea

Post by BogdanOancea »

Oops... the bad pixelation was caused by me unknowingly activating the "Use textured fonts" in the Preferences/Language & Font pane. Now the fonts look perfectly good. Sorry for not being more careful... :?

So there remains only the:

(1) "unbreakable" tooltips,
(2) misplacing them on the screen
(3) the lack of support for diacritics. I forgot to mention that I have to switch from the .bfont (Bitstream Vera Sans) to Arial to see them.

And something more just to clarify while I'm at it:
Franz told me to use "\n", then Paprmh mentioned using "/n". If you stop by, please clarify.

Anyway, Blender doesn't load .fon files... I suppose that's what you meant by 'bitmap fonts'. Or?...

paprmh

Post by paprmh »

:oops: yeah, sorry, franzrogar is right...it is \n for a new line...my typing skills need an upgrade :roll: