Numpad

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

ADamiani

Numpad

Post by ADamiani »

I've recently switched to using a laptop, as I am going overseas and desktop transport is impractical. This has presented me with something of a problem, particularly with regard to Blender: I have no numpad, and the interface assumes I do. Are there any alternative mechanisms I can use to emulate those functions normally controlled via the numpad hotkeys, particularly to easily swap to top/front/side views?

aligorith

Post by aligorith »

I've thought about this problem several times. Some laptops have a key that you can press+hold so that you can type as if you are using a numpad. You could also just get a usb numpad and carry that around with you.

Recently, someone over at the blenderartists forum posted a python script that drew a "virtual keyboard" on the screen. It currently lacks the numpad emulation, but I think that is being developed.

Some if not most of the functions available on the numpad can be found in the spacebar menu.

Aligorith

z3r0_d

Post by z3r0_d »

umm, that's what the emulate numpad option is for

it makes the number keys do what the numpad keys did... you'll now have to use your mouse for layers [aww], and it doesn't do things for the other keys on the number pad [plus minus slash dot...]

joeri

Post by joeri »

Yeah, and 7,1,3 does not make much sense anymore :)

rfrancis

Emulate Numpad

Post by rfrancis »

A part cure is to go to User Prefrences/System & OpenGL and under keyboard select Emulate Numpad.
At least it will give you the 1,3,7 you are after.

Ron.

aligorith

Post by aligorith »

Over at the blenderartists.org forum, someone has posted a script that draws a numpad on the screen to use. It was posted within the last few days, and is named Laptop_Numpad.py or similar.

Aligorith