How do i..

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

Rhionin

How do i..

Post by Rhionin » Mon Jul 10, 2006 12:11 am

I have gone through quite a few tutorials with Blender and I am attempting to make something of my own. So far everything is going smoothly but I have one issue that is driving me absolutely insane. I'm sure the solution is very simple.

I want to make a cylinder that has round sides, but does not round off the top or bottom. I have to choose either a many-sided polygon with a perfect crease around every edge, or i have to choose a subsurfed cylinder with round sides but is also round along the top and bottom edges. How can I just make a round-sided cylinder with a creased top and bottom edge?

mchs3d

Post by mchs3d » Mon Jul 10, 2006 12:23 am

hmmm... I think you might have better luck at getting a good response from the folks at http://www.blenderartists.org. They are the users forum; we are the developers forum. Good luck! :wink:
"It is the eternal struggle between these two principles — right and wrong — throughout the world."
- Abraham Lincoln

Rhionin

Post by Rhionin » Mon Jul 10, 2006 12:25 am

Alright, thank you!

joeri

Post by joeri » Mon Jul 10, 2006 9:53 am

Blender way of creating hard and soft edges is to manualy split of the top and bottom.
select the top verteces and hit Y. Select bottom verteces and hit Y.
Now you can 'smooth' all in object mode or only 'smooth' the cilinder in edit mode. (I read this is being coded on to implement something as hard and soft edges)