Rosetta ?

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

dubyk

Rosetta ?

Post by dubyk »

Dear maintainer,

I am interested in translating your application Blender into the Ukrainian language, and have noticed you don't have an established translation framework.

I've been translating other programs using Rosetta, an advanced web-based translation portal which is being developed by Canonical (Ubuntu Linux's parent company). Rosetta seems an advantageous choice for small/medium Free Software projects like yours, as it allows you to trivially avoid the legwork involved in making your application available in as many languages as possible.

With Rosetta, you would just need to publish a ''translation template'' -.pot file- via a webform when it best suits you (for example, when your next version is feature complete). Once it is published in Rosetta, it would be made available to a body of dozens of Free Software enthusiasts who would be then able to translate it. When you're ready to release your next version, you would request an ''export' of all the available translations, which you would get in a tar.gz archive.

Rosetta is under development, and features are being added and improved every week. It is and will always be free of charge. For me, it would make translating your application very easy.

You can learn more about Rosetta in <http://launchpad.net/rosetta/>.

Thanks,

Serhij Dubyk,
<https://launchpad.net/people/dubyk-library>

z3r0_d

Re: Rosetta ?

Post by z3r0_d »

dubyk

Re: Rosetta ?

Post by dubyk »

yes,
I know it because already some time engaged in the translation of Blender,
but the last translation work was not added in Blender 2.42 release
(http://projects.blender.org/pipermail/b ... 15126.html,
http://www.blender.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9164)

I worked in the Rosetta for translation of Stellarium and other programs.
Together with other translators we did a high-quality translation very quickly, correcting errors and co-ordinating terms.
Farther developers (Stellarium) one day prior to an release got from Rosetta the most fresh translations for all the languages!

dino4k

Post by dino4k »

i just doesn't like Rosetta cause its not free!

A _company_ that promise to be interested to support (and create) free software should do what they say and not always just promise things they dont do...

they release a software and say it might be that it become free software but not now...

but they still didn't done it ....

LetterRip

Post by LetterRip »

Hi,

I try and do the translation updates for release, I'm not sure how to retrieve them from Rosetta for releases, but will be sure to do so for 2.43

LetterRip

BogdanOancea

Post by BogdanOancea »

Initially I also used the Rosetta site for translating Blender into Romanian. But one thing I don't like is that if you make a typo or mistake and you later correct it, the previous wrong line remains as a suggestion, even if you are the same person who wrote it and then scraped it.

Anyway, I resorted to poEdit. It works on Windows and Mac (in alpha still). I edit the .po file with it, then I upload it to Rosetta. It generates the .mo file on the spot, everytime you save the changes. I can even insert comments to every line (tooltip, main menu entry, button, stuff like that...), useful when you only want to translate the tooltips and the main menus (File, Add, Timeline, Game, etc) and their entries, like I did. It works! Rosetta can't do that yet.

Recently I also downloaded the LocFactory Editor Lite (free) for the Mac. It also works, it's just that I almost finished the work already.

(By the way, I hope I'll make it in time for 2.43 ;^)
LetterRip wrote
I'm not sure how to retrieve them from Rosetta for releases, but will be sure to do so for 2.43

You have to be registered with Rosetta, then login and download any of the .mo or .po files. (Please do that for 2.43 :^)

Last edited by BogdanOancea on Fri Jul 28, 2006 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BogdanOancea

Post by BogdanOancea »

I almost forgot to ask you this...

The .bfont included in the Blender installation (which is Bitstream Vera Sans actually) lacks two of the letters needed for my language, so the translated tooltips and all were full of the usual small rectangles in place of the unrecognized characters.

I edited the .bfont.ttf file myself in FontForge to include those two letters (four, if I count the capitals).

So... who would be responsible to receive and check the edited font? LetterRip?

Also, are there any other languages which need their particular characters included? If the various people who work on translating Blender have similar problems with letters missing for their language, maybe I can help.

Wait... only Latin characters :?

bogdan :)

matt_e

Post by matt_e »

Jiri (Czech) also had similar problems, and suggested we use DejaVu Sans (an extension of Vera with many many more characters. I'd like to do this for the next release, will put it on the todo.