Half the model not showing up...

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

Shivinski

Half the model not showing up...

Post by Shivinski » Fri Jul 21, 2006 1:40 pm

I've modeled a car (well half the car) and then duplicated and mirrored the half to make the other half of the car and then joined the 2 meshes together...but now the half i originally made is not showing up in the 3D window whenim moddeling....but when I pree P to take it into python, that half appears, and the duplicated half dissapears?! What's wrong!?!

EDIT: Also when I'm just in Object or Edit mode both parts show up fine.....its only when I press Alt+Z (Textured mode) that half the car dissapears!

EDIT: Here are some pictures:
In 3D view: Image

In Python View (also the lighting in python mode dosen't seem to be affecting the meshes!): Image

z3r0_d

Post by z3r0_d » Fri Jul 21, 2006 4:46 pm

clearly you've never used 3ds max...

okay, so in textured mode and in the game engine only the outside of faces are visible.... the "outside" is determined by the normals

when you flip an object the normals end up pointing the wrong way....

... if you turn off double sided the back sides of faces will show up black in solid draw mode [useful when editing]

now, in edit mode, select everything and hit control+n
[if that doesn't work your object is probably flippped [scaled a negative amount on some axis] still, use control+shift+n]

Shivinski

Post by Shivinski » Fri Jul 21, 2006 4:58 pm

Ok thanks, the Ctrl+n worked for the 3D textured mode so now i see the whole model.....but when I Press P (Python) I still only see half the car...and the lighting is still wierd!

Screenshot:Image
--Forget everything you've been taught. Start by dreaming---

z3r0_d

Post by z3r0_d » Sat Jul 22, 2006 5:36 am

again, your model could be flipped on some axis

hit N in object mode, if the scaling is negative on any axis then make it positive

solmax

Post by solmax » Tue Jul 25, 2006 1:50 pm

Just a hint: "P" doesn't start a "Python mode", but the game engine. I would say it stays for "P"lay :)