tablet pc?

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

timeless3d

tablet pc?

Post by timeless3d » Mon Jul 24, 2006 4:07 am

I bought a tablet pc specifically for animation. I've done well getting it to work with my 2d applications, but am having trouble with 3d. I haven't tried Maya yet, but I imagine it will work ok because many controls are buttons on the screen. But working in blender, using only a 1 button stylus (behaving much like a 2 button mouse) and no keyboard is proving difficult.

For those of you not familiar with the tpc, basically it has a keyboard but in 'slate mode' the keyboard is covered by the flipped over screen so that all you have basically is a screen that you can draw and click on with the stylus.

I've been thinking about getting a blue tooth keyboard, but I'd really like to be able to work without it, just using onscreen buttons and my stylus.

The gestures for scaling, translating and rotating objects are wonderful, is there anyway to build on these to do some 3d navigation? What about customizing some onscreen buttons?

Thanks for any suggestions!

z3r0_d

Post by z3r0_d » Mon Jul 24, 2006 6:52 am

try sketchup... [though not really comparable to blender, it should work much better with a tablet... that is unless the cursor doesn't move when the pen is close to the screen, but only when touching it]

I can't stand using blender without a keyboard... [I also can't stand using blender with only a tablet, even if I can right-click with my tablet]

timeless3d

Post by timeless3d » Mon Jul 24, 2006 7:55 pm

Thanks for the suggestion. I have played with Sketchup a little, it's a fun little app. However, I'm not looking to replace Blender, I want to try to get it to work without a keyboard.

Is there no way to program some onscreen buttons? I thought I read about customizing some buttons in the interface, but I can't seem to find support for that anywhere.

Do I need to make some sort of official request?

solmax

Post by solmax » Tue Jul 25, 2006 1:53 pm

there is a blender version for PDAs, which don't have a hardware keyboard either. Maybe this will give you some hints how to operate blender on the TPC.

LetterRip

Post by LetterRip » Fri Jul 28, 2006 2:12 am

you'll probably need to wait for the tool api refactor, which would allow more customization until then not sure if there is a solution...

LetterRip

timeless3d

Post by timeless3d » Fri Jul 28, 2006 2:43 am

I did a search and found this:

http://mediawiki.blender.org/index.php/ ... I_Refactor

It that what you are talking about? Is this part of that Summer of Code thing?

Crazywulf

Post by Crazywulf » Thu Aug 17, 2006 8:47 am

I use a Stylistic LT C-500 and find it impossible to use Blender with just a pen, but if they can get it to work on a PPC they should be able to port it over to a Tablet, I can manage to use Blender with just a mouse and an on-screen keyboard, Sadly I couldn't get it working on my Axim x5 but am hoping it will work on an Axim x50 I just purchaced. I think it had something to do with OpenGL, this is why it wont work on older Laptops or PCs.
It sure would be awesome if I could get it working on my Tablet, this is the primary reason I bought it.
ooooOOOOOWWWWWWWWWwwwww

LetterRip

Post by LetterRip » Thu Aug 17, 2006 11:38 am

tool api refactor is scheduled to be done for the 2.43, Lukep is already working on the hardware side of it (updating ghost to work with assorted hardware including pen tablets and any usb input device), not sure if ton has started on the event system side of it yet.

LetterRip