Selection Tool

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

wnunes

Selection Tool

Post by wnunes »

Hello,

This is my recent proposal.

Change the hotkeys of selection tool, to move for the LMB.

But and the B hotkeys, change the mode of selection.

z3r0_d

Post by z3r0_d »

you can swap the meaning of lmb and rmb in the prefrences already

why is changing the selection to be a tool/mode better than the current behavior?

[oh, and did you know that mmb will deselect in box, brush selection? [for lasoo selection use control+shift]]

joeri

Post by joeri »

I think all options should be grouped like this.
for example Merge vertex be the parent of merge vertex at last selected, merge vertex at centre, etc.
I'm not to sure if they should be in the header, but that could be an option.
It's a bit 'strange' that this implementation only exsists for the proportional editing. There are many more that could benefit from this aproache.

The advantage is that the pref setting can be accessed fast, but also changed fast without going into a preference window.

dgebel

Post by dgebel »

I think the current B-B circular select tool is enough, although I kind of like the idea of having a selection button on the header bar. If there's room.
Too bad we don't have tear-off menus :wink:

I'd really like to be able to CHOOSE which options go onto the bar, even if its only a single customizable menu of choices. The customizable toolbars of most applications these days is great. Maybe a custom toolbar could be an option even.

wnunes

Post by wnunes »

My intention is change the form of selection.

For selection, press the LMB and drag, not set hotkey B, this hotkys
change the mode of selection (Rectanguar, Circle or Free).

This image want i show is a small exemple.

kAinStein

Post by kAinStein »

dgebel wrote: Too bad we don't have tear-off menus :wink:
Yep. Something I've thought about in the past few weeks, too (After the last great Blender UI flame war). That probably would be a compromise to people who would like to have a fully graphical interface and like to click what they want to do.
I'd really like to be able to CHOOSE which options go onto the bar, even if its only a single customizable menu of choices. The customizable toolbars of most applications these days is great. Maybe a custom toolbar could be an option even.
Yes, that was actually the reason I came about that issue: Though I don't use that much functionality of the headers, it's still nice to have the information without having to scroll the header from left to right and vice versa. One of the ideas I had was the possibility to make grouped parts of the header floatable like the toolbars in many other applications - and of course in addition the possibility to rearrange them. Same goes with menus and tear-off menus of other apps. Nice to see that there are other people having the same idea.

To the selection thing. Don't see any improvement in that one: Why not have it the way it is? It's simple, works and you don't have to constantly hold a mouse button down which is more ergonomic in my opinion.