UV - Simple Barrel - Help

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

mrmonkah

UV - Simple Barrel - Help

Post by mrmonkah »

Hey peeps.

Im pretty new to blender so bear with me. I modeled a simplistic barrel to use in 'Source' not that that is the problem. Ive looked a few video tuts on UV mapping and think i have a pretty good idea of what to do..... its just the execution i sometimes struggle to find.

Anyway, my barrel:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v630/ ... prob01.jpg

As you can see, ive added the seams in places where i 'hoped' it would unwrap nice and neat for me, and for the best part that was the case. How ever, as you can see, at the 'bottom' of the UV unwrap (~bottom of the barrel) things go a little distorted. As far as i am aware the top half and bottom half of the barrel is exactly the same, so i expected the top and bottom halves of the UV to be the same.

What can i do to make things all nice and straight edged in my UV map?
(Ive tried scaling along an axis to 'zero' but then i get lost in the verts overlapping.

Any help will be most welcome,

Daniel

matt_e

Post by matt_e »

It looks like you haven't properly cut an outward seam at the bottom there, perhaps you missed an edge?

mrmonkah

Post by mrmonkah »

Hey there,

I fixed the problem basically as soon as i posted this topic, but the couldn't get back on to say so. I hadn't welded/merged a line of verts down the barrel edge.

Thanks anyway,

Daniel