Question concerning transform properties and edge length

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

pinhead_66

Question concerning transform properties and edge length

Post by pinhead_66 » Sun Aug 27, 2006 8:18 am

Hello,

when working in blender, you can use 'n' to show the transform properties. Here you have the scale on the left and (as far as i know this is new in blender 2.42a) the dimension on the right of the floating pannel.
Now, when you select the default cube and go into edit mode you can go to editing in the buttons window and under the mesh tools tab select edge length, wich enables you to see the lengths of the edges interactively.

my question is the following. when i use 's' in edit mode the edge lengths change (normal). when i tab out of edit mode the dimensions of the object in the transform properties pannel have changed (normal) and the scale of the object has remained the same (normal).

When I use 's' to scale the object when it is not in edit mode, the scale of the object in the transform properties change accordingly (normal). The dimensions of the object also change accordingly (normal) but when i tab into edit mode, my edge length has remained the same. (not normal to me)

Can someone explain if this behaviour is normal and to be expected and if so where i go wrong in my thinking

many thanks
pin

aligorith

Post by aligorith » Sun Aug 27, 2006 9:18 am

I think the edge lengths shown in edit mode show the lengths of the actual mesh geometry in the mesh datablock, while what you see is the mesh data altered by the object transforms.

Aligorith

pinhead_66

Post by pinhead_66 » Mon Aug 28, 2006 11:41 am

ok, thanks