Command line rendering in OSX

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

gotfork

Command line rendering in OSX

Post by gotfork » Sat Sep 16, 2006 9:21 pm

Hi,

I'm working on a math project which requires a lot of rendering power and I'm trying to do some of it on one of the department's servers so as to avoid tying up all of mine for hours (or possibly days) on end.

When trying to render via ssh I get the following error:

"kCGErrorRangeCheck : Window Server communications from outside of session allowed for root and console user only" even when using the -b switch. It sounds like it's trying to open a window, so is there anything else I can do to avoid this?

jcaastro

Re: Command line rendering in OSX

Post by jcaastro » Tue May 20, 2008 11:45 pm

gotfork wrote:Hi,

I'm working on a math project which requires a lot of rendering power and I'm trying to do some of it on one of the department's servers so as to avoid tying up all of mine for hours (or possibly days) on end.

"kCGErrorRangeCheck : Window Server communications from outside of session allowed for root and console user only" even when using the -b switch. It sounds like it's trying to open a window, so is there anything else I can do to avoid this?
I recently ran into this problem after upgrading to 2.46 on OS X.4.11 (Everything is working fine under 2.43). Did you ever find an answer to this problem?

j

lukep

Re: Command line rendering in OSX

Post by lukep » Wed May 21, 2008 12:21 am

gotfork wrote:Hi,

Do you use the app bundle, or did you extract the executable from the bundle ?

In the former case, I think that, if you ssh to a new session which is non-graphical, the window server dont have aqua started for you. And blender.app, even in its commandline incarnation is still a full aqua app, so it need one. Extracting the executable and launcing it outside of the bundle should solve this (right-click on the app, "show bundle content", navigate to the macos folder).