[Urgent] I need a Displace modifier plugin or script soon

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

k776

[Urgent] I need a Displace modifier plugin or script soon

Post by k776 »

The only displace modifer I can find it in a cvs build which means I need to compile, and I dont have a lot of experience with compiling on Windows (only Linux). And I can't wait around for Blender 2.42b, or whatever the next version will be, to be released (unless it will be out in the next week).

I need a Displace modifier, and Blender has everything else I need, as far as I can tell. Its just this one thing. So I have 2 options:

* Ask someone to compile a working version of CVS for Windows that has the Displace modifier option.

* Have someone make a displace modifeier script/plugin that I can put in the scripts folder and use right away.

Which one is up to you. Do you have the skills for either? Please help me ASAP. Its for a good cause (giving it to 10 people to make awesome maps for Quantum Legacy game (go check it out ;) )

Caronte

Post by Caronte »

Caronte.
"Some Day, All Will Be Digital"
http://www.nicodigital.com

k776

Post by k776 »

Thank you. Thats one step closer. But a new problem:

It wont let me apply it in Edit mode, so when I switch to object mode, and try applying the displace modifier to a cube or plane, it says:

"Modifier is disabled or returned error, skipping apply" (or something veryh simlar to that)

Any ideas why this is happening?

Caronte

Post by Caronte »

I don't know what are you doing, but here it work nice.

Anyway, go to the user forum at www.blenderartists.org because thi's a developper forum mostly for coders.

Good luck.
Caronte.

agnawt

thanks for the build

Post by agnawt »

I'm suprised Blender does not have such a basic feature - I remember doing displacement with Lightwave 5 on my Pentium 120 back in '96. Its something pretty straightforward. Animating with a material displacement gives some wierd results.

I look forward to the day when there are 50+ stack-based modifiers like in 3D Studio. One can but dream...

Caronte

Re: thanks for the build

Post by Caronte »

agnawt wrote:I'm suprised Blender does not have such a basic feature - I remember doing displacement with Lightwave 5 on my Pentium 120 back in '96.
Blender have a video sequence editor since '96, I'm suprised Lightwave does not have such a nice feature. :twisted:

Anyway, blender have displacemente modifier now.
agnawt wrote:I look forward to the day when there are 50+ stack-based modifiers like in 3D Studio. One can but dream...
I look forward to the day when LW, Max, XSI, Maya... becomes opensource and downloadable for free. One can but dream... with impossibles :wink:
Caronte.

LetterRip

Post by LetterRip »

you have been able to use displacement as a texture forever, and you can use your existing version (2.42a). displacement as a modifier I don't believe that lightwave has (does lightwave even have a modifier stack?).

LetterRip

agnawt

Post by agnawt »

Letterip:
you have been able to use displacement as a texture forever
I quote myself "Animating with a material displacement gives some wierd results." Yes I know about setting a material channel to affect displacement. Try animating with it though. There is no way to see what u are working with and the geometry gets distorted over time.
does lightwave even have a modifier stack
Where did I say anything about Lightwave having a modifier stack?

Damn dude - read what is written, not want u want to see.

Yeah, I know Blender is free, I just thought displacement would rank "down there" with extrude and boolean operations.

LetterRip

Post by LetterRip »

I did read what was written but apparently had not completely read your posting you stated,
I'm suprised Blender does not have such a basic feature - I remember doing displacement with Lightwave 5 on my Pentium 120 back in '96. Its something pretty straightforward.
As I pointed out - Blender has had such a 'basic feature' for a long time, only the modifier stack is new.
Yes I know about setting a material channel to affect displacement. Try animating with it though. There is no way to see what u are working with and the geometry gets distorted over time.
If the geometry is getting distorted over time it would likely be best to file a bug report.mmWhat build did you use to test your material channel based displacement? You might want to test with the same build as the displace modifier to ensure that the bug isn't already fixed in CVS.
Where did I say anything about Lightwave having a modifier stack?
I never stated you did, I was asking if it did, and was stating that Blender did.

LetterRip

agnawt

Post by agnawt »

Ok, now that we've got that cleared up...

I was using the latest official Win32 build (2.42a) from the blender.org website. But either way, I am talking about directy changing the geometry of the mesh - whether by a "modifier" or something more permanent. Mesh->Displacement Map->Displaced Mesh.

I downloaded some build for Win32 called "SOC" something, but it was based on version 2.41. Is what you are talking about in any offical build, or do I need some patched version?