export 3d model to OpenGL C++

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

gromus

export 3d model to OpenGL C++

Post by gromus »

Hi
I have such question. I have a 3d model with bones and I want to use this model in my program written in MSV C++ using OpenGL. I want to have full control on this model using c++ code, but when I make something with model it should make some influence on other parts of model - I don't know did I say it clearly.
Also if I made some animation I would like to be able to use it.
I have more questions but I will ask later. :)

joeri

Post by joeri »

Hi gromus,

What is your question?
Where are you from? Maybe someone can answer your question in your own language.

gromus

Post by gromus »

hi joeri
I'm from Poland - I want to bulid a project in MVS C++ using OpenGL and in this project I want to use a 3d model created in Blender but this model contains bones (or armature) and I want to be able to move this bones using C++ code, for example I want to make a man running, I want to make a man in blender put some bones or armature (don't know what should I use), export him somehow to c++ code so I will be able to make him running from level of MVS using his bones.

I think it's clear now.
:)

LetterRip

Post by LetterRip »

First you need a complete animation engine in your game engine. For examples of animation engines, you can have a look at Crystal Space 3D and Ogre Engines.

Then you will need to write a loader either for a standard format (Collada) or a custom format.

Then you can export from Blender to the standard format (Collada) if Blender already has an exporter, or you'll need to write an exporter for your custom format.

If you are asking this type of question, you are likely a couple of months to a year before you will be able to usefully export and then load an animation if you are writing a game engine from scratch.

LetterRip

gromus

Post by gromus »

could someone give me some links to tutorials or webs containing something about exporting models to opengl formats??

thanks for all replies :wink:

Marianne

Post by Marianne »

ould someone give me some links to tutorials or webs containing something about exporting models opengl formats??
OpenGL formats don't exist - OpenGL doesn't do any loading at all, just drawing. You need additional code to do that. Either write some from srcath (long!) or reuse an existing framework. As was suggested, look at Ogre3 - i don't know if it has loaders. If not, search google for "C++ [FORMAT NAME] loader" and you should find something. From this point it's not blender-related anymore.

Good luck :wink:

gromus

Post by gromus »

:o Marianne I said wrong I was thinking of exporting models to format which can be use in opengl. But thank you and everyone for help.