Running Java

Scripting in Blender with Python, and working on the API

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

ronbravo

Running Java

Post by ronbravo »

Is it possible to use Python to get a small little Java app to run embedded inside a Blender window?

stiv

Post by stiv »

It is not prohibited by the laws of thermodynamics, so it is possible in that sense of the word. Doing such a thing gives new meaning to the phrase 'non-trivial'.

I suspect that once you learned enough to do this you would be horrified by the thought of anyone wanting to.
Last edited by stiv on Tue May 15, 2007 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ronbravo

Post by ronbravo »

lol. Not the answer I was looking for but I still enjoyed reading it. I guess if you tried it the space time continuum might collapse in on itself destroying realty as we know it.

stiv

Post by stiv »

Since you never mentioned any actual goal, I'm guessing this is a purely hypothetical question .

If it is not, and you can live with simply getting the text output of an external program, popen() makes that trivial. Blender *will* block while the external program runs.

ronbravo

Post by ronbravo »

I was wanting to embed a Java game engine in one of the viewports.

Also is it possible to use one of the viewports as a browers. Sometimes when I look up python reference on the web I wouldn't mind having the webpage docs in a blender viewport for me to browse I write a python script. Another reason that would be cool is because the game engine I'm using can be embeded as an applet in html code. So I wonder if the whole embedding the java engine doesn't work, maybe I could use a viewport as a webbrowser and pull up the embeded applet engine.

What do you think?

richvold

Post by richvold »

Hi... I know it's a long time since you discussed this, but did you find a solution? The reason I'm asking is that I want the same thing.. I would like for an avatar in a world created in Blender to activate external java games, but inside the Blender window...

jesterKing
Site Admin

Post by jesterKing »

Such a thing is not possible currently.

/Nathan