Have u tried open maya API?

Scripting in Blender with Python, and working on the API

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

flamander

Have u tried open maya API?

Post by flamander » Mon Aug 25, 2008 2:22 am

Hi!.. I am a programmer... 6 years experience on POO in fox pro, vb .net, php, asp, etc etc... but nothing in phyton... I tried to code start some but it the programming way is xtrange...

anyway...

I use autodesk maya... like a 2 years more or less... but maya is written in phyton too... and has a open API library... for the same... scenes, objects, materials, etc...

and I tried to see the code or architecture of blender and looks very well...

I am curious if there's any way to join or share something from maya to blender...

both softwares are powerful... and I want to contribute but I have no time with my full time programming job... u know... php, mysql, web sites online systems... it's a really time consuming integrate design and back end programming...

anyway 2..

That was my cuestion... If anyone can xplain what is missing on blender... well.. maybe is done in maya open API...

or dont you know about that guys?

LetterRip

Post by LetterRip » Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:03 am

Maya is not written in python afaik, it does however have python bindings, which is probably what you meant.

The APIs are pretty drastically different, so there isn't really anything in the way of code portability between the two.

LetterRip

kattkieru

Post by kattkieru » Sat Sep 13, 2008 2:50 am

LetterRip wrote:Maya is not written in python afaik, it does however have python bindings, which is probably what you meant.

The APIs are pretty drastically different, so there isn't really anything in the way of code portability between the two.

LetterRip
Just a quick note:

If you program in an object-oriented manner and separate your model from the controller and the view, you *can* write pure models in python that work in both Blender and Maya. The controllers and views, however, are drastically different.

There's also the notion of using a separate windowing kit from within both. I haven't tried it in Blender (wonder if it'd work?) but you can call wxWidgets or TKinter from Python in Maya. If it were possible under Blender, then all that would be non-portable is the controller code.