updating a curve object

Scripting in Blender with Python, and working on the API

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

Haunt_House

updating a curve object

Post by Haunt_House » Thu Sep 18, 2003 10:27 pm

Hi

is there a way to update a curve object when I changed it through python?

Of course I could use tab tab, but this is not too handy within rendering an animation.

thanks in advance

Haunt_House

stiv

Post by stiv » Fri Sep 19, 2003 9:43 am

At the moment, this behavior ( or non-behaviour! ) is a Great Mystery. Even as we speak, research is taking place at a Secret Laboratory.

Rest assured that this problem *will* be solved.

Haunt_House

Post by Haunt_House » Sat Sep 20, 2003 10:12 am

thanks in advance :o

If I only knew more about forces and kinetics. then I would do the cables meshbased and iterative.

lukas

Post by lukas » Tue Sep 23, 2003 8:43 pm

stiv wrote:Rest assured that this problem *will* be solved.
Glad to hear that. I'm stuck with the same prob.
Is there a way of getting notified once this is solved (even if it is in cvs only)?

Oh, btw, there was another funny thing about the curves in phyton.
Methods for retrieving the number of points/curves are missing. I checked out cvs yesterday and saw that the actual code was there, but the respective methods weren't added to the method table.
I inserted them just out of curiosity (and since i needed them :D) and it seems to work as expected. Is there any reason for them not beeing enabled yet?

Other thing: What about adding/removing control points to a curve? Did i miss something, or is it just not implemented yet?

tia

stiv

Post by stiv » Tue Sep 23, 2003 11:15 pm

lukas wrote: Glad to hear that. I'm stuck with the same prob.
Is there a way of getting notified once this is solved (even if it is in cvs only)?
I think I have a handle on it. Essentially, after we have updated the Curve datablock, we need to chase down all the Objects linked to it and have them update their display lists. I'll let you know when I'm sure.
Oh, btw, there was another funny thing about the curves in phyton.
Methods for retrieving the number of points/curves are missing. I checked out cvs yesterday and saw that the actual code was there, but the respective methods weren't added to the method table.
I inserted them just out of curiosity (and since i needed them :D) and it seems to work as expected. Is there any reason for them not beeing enabled yet?
The methods were implemented. Either the .h file didn't get updated or didn't get checked in. They *should* work. Let me know if they don't.
Other thing: What about adding/removing control points to a curve? Did i miss something, or is it just not implemented yet?
Ahhh, the evolving python interface. I have coded up some methods. We were discussing exactly what the interface should look like. Plus that previously mentioned problem with updating display lists.

Currently, there is a code freeze for the 2.28x release. The next cvs checkin should have *all* the goodies we've talked about.[

lukas

Post by lukas » Wed Sep 24, 2003 10:55 am

stiv wrote:I think I have a handle on it. Essentially, after we have updated the Curve datablock, we need to chase down all the Objects linked to it and have them update their display lists. I'll let you know when I'm sure.
Great! Thanks.
The methods were implemented. Either the .h file didn't get updated or didn't get checked in. They *should* work. Let me know if they don't.
As far as i can tell: They work. I have a running py scriipt, that uses them w/o probs.
Currently, there is a code freeze for the 2.28x release. The next cvs checkin should have *all* the goodies we've talked about.
i am looking forward to it.
btw, i don't know who was responsible for the automake setup, just wanted to give big respect: Blender was the first "bigger" project in years , that i was able to check out and build out of the box (bootstrap,configure,make). No tricks, no tweaks, no glitches. It simply worked. Amazing! :D
Thx again.