Beast: Unleash your creativity.

Scripting in Blender with Python, and working on the API

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

Landis

Beast: Unleash your creativity.

Post by Landis »

Background...

Here's the scoop. Beast is a python effort which is based off of Ezual's powerful duplication script (initially designed to generate buildings). For a more detailed history, view the folliwing thread:

http://www.elysiun.com/forum/viewtopic. ... sc&start=0

Now that you up to speed heres the

Latest update...

Beast Team Progress Report

Image Automatic card generation has been incorporated into the Beast

Image The "None" base map mode has been changed to "Solid" so that at least the
color can be set automatically (this will make more sense to all of you soon).

Image Alpha maps

-Alpha mapping is now managed by Beast, however, cannot set Clip instead of repeat with python though (feedback on this would be greatly appreciated).

-While experimenting with various alpha maps an idea surfaced. Test render "B" in the image below uses an alpha that has a blurred bottom edge that fades up into the base of the hairs. This specific alpha was tested to reduce the contrast between the area where a base mesh would exist (the scalp) and where the hairs would begin. As you can see it worked but not as intended...

Which then brings us to the next image. This picture illustrates the result of blurring the ENTIRE alpha map all together producing a much softer coat similar to that produced by the head of a human.

To do list....

Image Recieve feedback from community regarding max density.

-Implimenting it into the script

-Concepts for controling such a feature

Image At the moment the random rotation of an object is around the global axis and not the local axis of the object.

Image Work out the bugs in the progress bar :D !

More to come soon!

Cheers,
The Beast Team
"Unleash your creativity."

ezual
Landis
Fweeb
LohnC
Last edited by Landis on Fri Dec 19, 2003 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pablosbrain

Great!!!

Post by Pablosbrain »

This is some great work! Just Fabulous! You guys have done a wonderful job with it and I hope it keeps improving!!!

sten

Post by sten »

possible to try it out?

hmm...

Landis

Plant Life

Post by Landis »

Heres a test render of Plant Life...this is still very much a work in progress (no variation to the plants other than that of the single card image textures shown below).

A thread has been created over at the beast projects site forum as well. Please feel free to post your ideas at either location (here or there). As far as beta testing is concerned, we would love to have you hack at it Z, but the problem is that we are not at a point to where we can release beast as a beta yet, so, until we reach that stage a help thread has been created for those who would like to help out with various tasks related to the beta in the mean time. The beast forum can be found over at the projects section of this site. Heres the link:

http://projects.blender.org/forum/?group_id=42

Cheers,
Landis

Landis

Post by Landis »

Ok...here is the first render using the new alpha shadow feature...I am going to toy with this a little..very excited about this! It looks as though I have a couple cards in the front that are straying from the flock. I am going to work with this some more but anyways here is the image...definatley more depth then before.

Here is a feather test. This is with absolutley ZERO variation too! Thats right...just one type of feather! So you can imagine what it will look like once multiple alphas are used! I am also learning this fature still so the images should get better as I improve. Here is a feather test using the new alpha feature:

Monkeyboi

Post by Monkeyboi »

Looks amazing Landis! When can we expect a release?

Landis

Post by Landis »

The release of Beast as a beta shouldnt be too far away however we are not setting a date. We have broken the project down to smaller tasks as you can see from the beast forum in the projects section of this site. We have a long list of members from the community who wish to be beta testers but we must first get beast to that stage. Kepp checkin' this and the other thread over at elysiun for updates...I promise I will keep you all posted.

Cheers,
Landis

sharp

My God.....

Post by sharp »

That is beautiful. Can't wait for a realease.

Landis

Post by Landis »

Well, the beta is almost ready...ezual is coding his ass off. Until then here is the latest render of the character "Brox" from my AIRMAN project after beast got ahold of em'....

Landis

Post by Landis »

Latest update!

ImageThe rotation of duplicated objects is now around the local axis! (Thanks to those vector functions of theeth's...thanks buddy ;) ). This is great because setting z-rotation in fur mode allows for an organized, yet random result!

ImageProgress bar works great! It now also shows a percentage to give a more
specific indication of progress.

ImageBeast now applies alpha mapping as "Clip" instead of "Repeat"!

To do list...

Image Streamline the GUI (interface) so that it provides an "artist friendly" work environment that is equally admired for its efficiency....this is 75% done btw!

ImageGenerate a tutorial and quality documentation in time for the Beta release.

Cheers,
The Beast Team

pinhead_66

Post by pinhead_66 »

Thanks Landis for keeping us up-to-date with the progress...

looking good

Happy Holidays everyone

Pinhead_66

Landis

Post by Landis »

Thank you all for your patience. Beast 0.5 Beta has been officially unleashed and can be accessed through the Blender Projects site by clicking on the following link:

http://projects.blender.org/projects/beast/

...and now for a quick PR...

Latest update!

Image Beast 0.5 Beta has been completed and uploaded to the Beast section of the Blender Projects site.

Image Beast now generates a log inside of Blender's text window itself.

Image Finished G.U.I.

To do list...

Image Recieve feedback from the community regarding the functionality of Beast as a whole. The key here is to help us to help you. Beast is a community effort. If you do or do not like something or have an idea about beast PLEASE let us know. Also, we really want to encourage everyone to use the Beast Blender Project site as well as the elysiun thread.

Again, thank all of you for your patience. Take care and as always, blend on!

Cheers,
The Beast Team

dotblend

Post by dotblend »

this is really fantastic!!!!

poutsa

[b]Beast Project Is Fantastic and Amazing!!!![/b]

Post by poutsa »

Hy,
I try the beta version of Beast on 2.3-
and its very great,
Thanks and Continious for the end Tool.....

Thanks again i like it very much....!!!!!

Landis

Post by Landis »

Sweeeeeet! I am glad you guys like it!! Now, a little behind schedule with all the things I got goin' on but anyways, heres the news...

Latest update!

Image Added a little feature to beast that uses the "shareFrom" Blender
function. What this does is it has all the fur share mesh data with a
master mesh created at the cursor. It's not a solution to hair orientation
management, but something to play with inthe mean time.

Image Beast "alpha" has been officially unleashed and can be accessed through the Blender Projects site by clicking on the following link:

http://projects.blender.org/projects/beast/

Image Ezual should be uploading ANOTHER alpha-beast-version this weekend as well. The added feature is a combed option with a max height setting (he's been working a little trigonometry). Enabling and setting this bends a hair of a certain height down to the max height specified. This will work great for animals and all sorts of other short furred things as well as shorter hair styles. This option doesn't work magic yet because there isn't really a way to orientate the hairs, however, Ezual has something up his sleeve that he'll work on this week (he's been crunching numbers with theeth under the table).

Image Various bug fixes.

To do list...

Image Animation, animation, animation.

Well, that about wraps it up. Take care, and as always, BLEND ON!

Cheers,
The Beast Team