How to set pivot point types from Python...

Scripting in Blender with Python, and working on the API

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

dvochin

How to set pivot point types from Python...

Post by dvochin » Wed May 29, 2013 6:46 am

Hi, I'm trying to set the pivot_point from python to "CURSOR" but after many attempts I'm getting nowhere

From the post at (http://blenderartists.org/forum/archive ... 44453.html) It was said that the line below works but I get an error that ''Context' object has no attribute 'space''

bpy.ops.wm.context_set_enum(data_path="space.pivot_point",value="CURSOR")

How can I do this? (I also need to set the mesh selection mode to 'vertex select')

Thanks!

CoDEmanX

Post by CoDEmanX » Wed May 29, 2013 1:05 pm

try "space_data.pivot_point"
I'm sitting, waiting, wishing, building Blender in superstition...

dvochin

Post by dvochin » Wed May 29, 2013 7:34 pm

CoDEmanX wrote:try "space_data.pivot_point"
Hi CoDEmanX, thanks for taking the time again...

I've tried in Blender's Python console "bpy.context.space_data.pivot_point = 'CURSOR'" and I get "AttributeError: 'SpaceConsole' object has no attribute 'pivot_point'"... presumable because the SpaceView3D must be active?

How do I set a view active? So far the only (really bad) way I know of doing this is going through the tree of objects in bpy.context.screens[].areas[].regions[] to find the view3d in whatever screen layout I have at the time and find it this way (tried and it works... but is extremely brittle & messy!)

Is the method in my first post broken? It seemed to work for the folks at the previous post about a year ago...

CoDEmanX

Post by CoDEmanX » Thu May 30, 2013 1:16 am

the correct path is space_data, not space - not sure if this was renamed a while ago.

If you run an operator from view 3d, then just access context.space_data, otherwise there is no other way than to iterate over all areas in current screen. There is no cleaner solution, and it actually makes sense this way - how should it know the view3d you are interested into (if there's more than 1)? You need to handle that in your own code.

dvochin

Post by dvochin » Thu May 30, 2013 2:27 am

Hi CoDEmanX, thanks again... So if I read your answer correct then

1. if the user's mouse is hovering over a 3D view then the following python code will work:

bpy.ops.wm.context_set_enum(data_path="space_data.pivot_point",value="CURSOR")

2. If the user's mouse is NOT in the 3D view, then there is no other way then to fish out the 3D view from the tree of objects from bpy.context.screen.

Have I gotten that right?

CoDEmanX

Post by CoDEmanX » Thu May 30, 2013 8:18 am

That's right!

So if you wanna change the pivot no matter what, write your own operator which sets it for all 3d views regardless of context.

Akihisa

Re: How to set pivot point types from Python...

Post by Akihisa » Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:38 pm

dvochin wrote:Hi, I'm trying to set the pivot_point from python to "CURSOR" but after many attempts I'm getting nowhere

From the post at (http://blenderartists.org/forum/archive ... 44453.html) It was said that the line below works but I get an error that ''Context' object has no attribute 'space''

bpy.ops.wm.context_set_enum(data_path="space.pivot_point",value="CURSOR")

How can I do this? (I also need to set the mesh selection mode to 'vertex select')

Thanks!
Hi here is a code which enable you to set the pivot point to the cursor :

def center():

original_type = bpy.context.area.type
bpy.context.area.type = "VIEW_3D"
bpy.ops.object.editmode_toggle()
bpy.ops.mesh.select_all(action = 'DESELECT')
bpy.ops.mesh.select_all(action = 'SELECT')
#bpy.ops.view3d.snap_cursor_to_selected()
bpy.ops.object.editmode_toggle()
bpy.ops.object.origin_set(type='ORIGIN_CURSOR', center='MEDIAN')
bpy.context.area.type = original_type
curseur_location = bpy.context.scene.cursor_location.copy()
print(curseur_location)
return curseur_location

if you delete the "#" on line 6, the code will set the pivot point to the center of your object. I hope that's what you need