scripting a 321 robotic arm

Scripting in Blender with Python, and working on the API

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

AFroDYme

scripting a 321 robotic arm

Post by AFroDYme » Mon Mar 01, 2004 9:24 pm

hi,

I follow a master degree of Artificial intelligence and togther with some friends, I follow a robotics course and we have to do a project about robots :-)

well we choose to script a 321 robotic arm in python , visiualized in blender. and calculate the FK and IK without using the jacobian solver. thus with the formulae used in the the robotics community.

but we have some n00b questions :-)

we already script the turning and positioning of the arms.

- how do we create a new cylinger via scripting ( we now use cylinders that are allready in the scene )
-how can we correctly position the pivot point at the base of the cylinders, manually dragging them tis results in big error at the end of the robotic arm
- if we get the size , iets returns 1 (which we suppose is the scaling vector ), how can we get the 'real' size (e.g. in pixels orso )

well that's it for now

Thanks in advance

AFroDYme, Prometheus

S68

Post by S68 » Wed Mar 03, 2004 2:08 pm

Hi

You can create a new cylinder by creating a new NMesh Object and placing the vertices/faces as needed. It is pretty simple

A new object has its 'pivot point' in the origin, so if you create the cylinder with one basis at z=0 and the other at z=h it is in the correct position.

YOu can them translate rotate the object as needed.

Incidentally this board is devoted to python development, not python utilization.

Users and python coders typically discuss on www.elysiun.org

Stefano

breakin

Post by breakin » Mon Mar 29, 2004 8:35 pm

Your question is off-topic but I answer it anyway.

As long as there is one cylinder in the scene, a Nmesh, you can link all your objects to that NMesh. So it can be shared. Thus when creating new robotic-cylinder-parts you just create a new object an attached the cylinder to it.