Export subdivisionsurfaces for armatures

Scripting in Blender with Python, and working on the API

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

breakin

Export subdivisionsurfaces for armatures

Post by breakin »

If one does not want to get their hands dirty with the subdivisionsurfaces one can export using getRaw, getting the subdivided mesh. But for armatures when using getRaw the resulting mesh does not have any armature-weights (which is not surprising, given that getRaw is the fully defomred mesh). This means that one can export subdiv as one wants but when it's an armture one can't, the weights and the bone connection disspaears.

Are there any solution to this problem? Like a method that get the subdivided but not otherwise deformed mesh with all attributes preserved.

z3r0_d

Post by z3r0_d »

apply the deformation yourself?

[that's about all I can think of, but you do point out correctly that if the subdivision is done after the posing then one ought to be able to obtain the non-subdiv-ed mesh]

actually, you could probably set the subsurf level to 0, use getraw, then set it back

breakin

Post by breakin »

HM. This is a bit dependant on weater blender applies armature-deform before or after subdivision. I guess before. Thing is I would like the weights for the subdivided version so I could do the armature deform myself, but if blender does armature-deform first there is absolutely no way. Otherway the function might be in blender and all I have to do is to expose it.

I want subdivision done but not armature-deform. AND I'd like the armature-weights as well for each vertex.

reimpell

Re: Export subdivisionsurfaces for armatures

Post by reimpell »

breakin wrote:Are there any solution to this problem?
This is related to #1034 in the old feature request tracker. Apparently nobody implemented this to date. The idea is to have a "keep vertex groups" option in the "convert SubSurf to Mesh" action.

breakin

Post by breakin »

Is the old feature request tracker used or should the feature request be moved into the new one? Hereby consider the feature requested ;) I think it's a usuable feature, especially for export. Makes it so much easier. Maybe I do my own subdiv-code and then it's a non-issue but until then it's good to have something to prototype with.

Me being curious, when is the armature-deform applied? Before or after sub-division?

theeth

Post by theeth »

Before subdivision. That's why for certain geometries, you can have pseudo-muscle just by tweaking the weight of each bone.

Martin
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans.
- John Lennon