Bug Scripts Screen + Import Export Request.

Scripting in Blender with Python, and working on the API

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

caperaven

Bug Scripts Screen + Import Export Request.

Post by caperaven »

Running the texture bake script from the scripts screen, crashes blender.
Loading the same script from the text editor and running it from there, everything runs fine.

I know there is a import script for blender.
However this does not import the UV data, nor texture data nor material data. This would be a realy great addon if a proper / complete import script for 3ds files could be included to blender.

For 3ds also, Such a script would also be very very cool to have.
To also export mesh, UV, Texture and material data.
Needless to say not all data will be compatible, but as far as possible would be nice.

Most addons to blender from external sources are made via scripts.
I can't help but feel that should a binary plugin system be made available in blender, much more can be achieved. The general speed of operation on a binary system would also be a lot faster than that of pyton.
Is something like that on the cards?

SirDude

Post by SirDude »

There are no plans to add a binary plugin system to blender currently.

Blender is an opensource project unlike most of the other 3d apps so there is no need for a "PLUGIN API" you can just download the source and tie your code directly into it.

Adding a binary plugin section would just further complicate the code (Which is definatly not needed) Because blender is multi platform its also a pain to provide plugins for all of the various platforms.

Having said all of that you can also use pythons own system for tying in binarys to a plugin you write so there are multiple options already open to you.

caperaven

Post by caperaven »

Thanks for the reply.

I am well aware of pyton and have written the odd script for blender.
Problem is that pyton is perhaps one of your slower API.
Thus exporting large mesh scenes with all required material detail is a timely excersize. A plugin system would be much much faster however I do also understand the technical issues behind such an operation and thus I will just add it to blender as you suggested.