Another Fur/Hair Generator

Scripting in Blender with Python, and working on the API

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

aligorith

Another Fur/Hair Generator

Post by aligorith »

Greetings,

There are currently two ways/scripts to create fur/hair/grass effects.
The first is Fiber Generator, which makes a whole lot of '"fibers's" using curves??? The other is Beast, which makes "cards", which are rectangular meshes parented to the base object/mesh.

Both methods are okay, but these two approaches both create a lot of data that has to be drawn and stored on loading the file, and saved with the file. This type of approach, IMO is too slow and clumsy, especially when editing/animating.

So what about doing the creation + placement of these 'fibers' or 'cards' at rendertime? In fact, I propose that there be two types of generator, one that uses either fibers of cards depending on density + quality + style for longer stuff, and one that creates a sort of texture for shorter hairs.

The texture would need to have options as to which way the hairs should be aligned or which end would be grounded and which one in the air pointing towards what or even random fluff? Basically, short fur/hair is best represented as sort of matted in layers, so a texture with displacement will do...

harkyman

Post by harkyman »

This can be achieved with the addition of a RenderTime script link, which I have propsed a couple of times already. RipSting (Fiber author) liked the idea.

gabio

Post by gabio »

aligorith

Post by aligorith »

gabio, I with short fur/fluff using the particle generator doesn't seem ideal though, as with short fur, you are really wanting just surface cover that doesn't look like paint-on-object.

By the way, is there a way to make a new Texture plugin using Python? I can't seem to find any reference to that in the Python docs online.

harkyman

Post by harkyman »

Texture plug-ins would be written in c.

Here's where you can find out how:

http://download.blender.org/documentati ... 12095.html