Blender / Python problem

Scripting in Blender with Python, and working on the API

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

Yberion

Blender / Python problem

Post by Yberion »

hello... im having some problem using python and blender... i've installed both, but when i run blender, its says:
No installed Python found.
Only built-in modules are available. Some scripts may not run.
and when i try to use a python script, it says:
ImportError: No module named Blender
could anyone tell me how can i fix this?

thx :D

ps: im using blender 2.36 and python 2.4

Puma

Post by Puma »

Try Pyhton 2.3

paleajed

Post by paleajed »

ImportError: No module named Blender
This sounds like you are running the script outside Blender. Blender has the Python language built in (the entire language) which is undependent from the Python 2.4 you installed. Also it has its own in-built module called Blender, which is not accessible by the external Python you installed. So if you try to run your script by typing "pluginname.py" or "python pluginname.py" or any other way outside of Blender, it does not find the module Blender (containing all Blender related functions). You should first start Blender and start the plugin by either selecting it in the appropiate menu (this is when you register your script, information on how to do this at http://www.blender.org/modules/document ... PythonDoc/), by selecting it in the scripts menu in the script window (again if you registered) or by opening a Text Window, loading your script into it (File menu) and pressing Alt-P to run it (or choose Run Script from the File menu). It will run fine then.
No installed Python found.
Only built-in modules are available. Some scripts may not run.
Indeed, Blender requires Python 2.3.

mchs3d

Post by mchs3d »

No, Blender does not require Python 2.3. I, for one, use Python 2.4 and have no problems with it. Make SURE that you set your PYTHONPATH right (i.e. change Python23/... to Python24/... and you shouldn't have any problems. :wink:

indigomonkey

Post by indigomonkey »

mchs3d, I just updated to Python 2.4 (with Blender 2.36), like you're talking about, and when I boot up Blender it says Python wasn't found. Where is this PYTHONPATH? (and is that relevant to Python scripts within Blender?)

Puma

Post by Puma »

You can change pyhton path in blender's "user preferences" window.
Remember to save user defaults CTRL+u