ATI nmf exporter for NormalMapper

Scripting in Blender with Python, and working on the API

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

nfz

ATI nmf exporter for NormalMapper

Post by nfz »

Hopefully I haven't reinvented the wheel here. ATI's NormalMapper has been kicking around for a few years so I figured there must be an export script for it. I did a search with Google and on this forum but didn't come up with anything. So I wrote one this morning.

This exporter converts Blender meshes to ATI's nmf format so that the mesh can be loaded into ATI's normal mapper utility.

ATI nmf is the normal mapper format required for meshes that are to be loaded into ATI's command line normalmapper utility. The normalmapper can generate a normal map using a high poly model and a low poly model.

Usage:
Build a high poly model in one layer and a low poly model in another. Select them both and then export them using the nmf exporter script. The nmf files can then be loaded into the normalmapper and a normal map generated. See the NormalMapper readme file on how to use
that utility.

Notes:
Low poly models must be uv mapped and the mappings must not overlap. The high poly model does not have to be uv mapped but if you are using a bump map for fine detail then you must uv the high poly model.

Make sure the models have the same orientation and position. The low poly mesh should sit inside the high poly mesh for best results.

The exporter places the new nmf files in the data directory as specified in the blender user settings and uses the object name as the file name with an extension .nmf.

The normal mapper command line tool can be downloaded from ATI's developer site:
http://mirror.ati.com/developer/tools.html
There is also a NormalMapper windows User Interface called NormalMapperUI on the same download page which is highly recommended.

I am working on a UI in Blender Python script so the tool can be used within blender without having to launch the external UI. I converted the NormalMapper C++ code to Python but it ran way too slow to be practical. Having a Python UI will provide ease of use and the exe util will provide the speed I guess.

So here is a link to the first version of the script: nmfexport.py.
Place it where you keep your python scripts for blender.

The largest model I tried it with was 140,000 tris which took about 8 secs for the script to convert to nmf on my machine (2 Ghz AMD).

gabio

Post by gabio »

Have you considered puting you script in the export menu? this could be submited to be bundled with the blender release. All new usefull stuff is always welcome.
I don't use ATI normalmapper, as i can do it in blender now, but a lot of people swear by it, so it isn't a bad addition. :)

iaminnocent

Post by iaminnocent »

gabio wrote:<snip>
I don't use ATI normalmapper, as i can do it in blender now, but a lot of people swear by it, so it isn't a bad addition. :)
Care to share ? :)

I'm about to translate the release log on NormalMaps to French and I'd like to learn how this can be done within Blender.

Thanks Gabio

Jean

nfz

Post by nfz »

I've added a GUI to the exporter so that you can do everything inside Blender now. The exporter runs as a seperate process so you can continue Blendering while the map is built.

Here is the new download: http://neuralfuzz.com/opengl/NormalMapper.zip

You can also view online help and some WIP tutorials here: http://www.neuralfuzz.com/opengl/blende ... pping/Help

iaminnocent

Post by iaminnocent »

Excellent !

:)

Jean

BluEgo

Post by BluEgo »

Dead link for me :(

Can someone else upload it in a new URL ????

Thank you!