Request: Custom object attributes

Scripting in Blender with Python, and working on the API

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

KDR_11k

Request: Custom object attributes

Post by KDR_11k »

It would be VERY helpful if Python scrips could add custom attributes to any form of Blender object (vertex, face, lamp, object, curve, node, ...). The point of this is that your script could mark objects for its purposes (e.g. flag a vertex as "modify" to know which ones to change). Keeping separate dictinaries or something wouldn't work as well because the object identifiers could change (e.g. vertex numbers) and some objects don't have persistent identifiers so attributes that stay with the objects even through alterations would come in quite handy.

z3r0_d

Post by z3r0_d »

in the near term I'd consider this highly unlikely

perhaps for blender 3.0?

Brandano

Post by Brandano »

I agree with the idea, it could be very useful. But in the meantime you could just create a text object holding the attributes you want linked to the object and make it a child of the object itself. This way it willbe directly erlated to it, readable by the script and saved together with the rest of the scene. just a tought...

KDR_11k

Post by KDR_11k »

I'm not sure you can parent anything to a vertex or edge. I used the term object here as the top class from which all other classes are derived.

levon

Post by levon »

you can parent objects to verticies, select 2 objects, press tab, then select the vert, and press ALT P. or you could use hooks.