Mac OS X Jaguar users warning: Do NOT update Python.

Scripting in Blender with Python, and working on the API

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

Fire Angel

Mac OS X Jaguar users warning: Do NOT update Python.

Post by Fire Angel »

Hi all, just a tip for those, like myself, still using OS X 10.2.8 (Jaguar)

I just spent ages trying to get any python scripts to work after upgrading from Blender 2.36 to 2.37a. After the update, no Pythonscripts would run at all, built in or opened in the text editor window.

While using Blender 2.36 I had upgraded my Python installation from that provided by Apple (2.2) to a later version I think 2.2.1 (but don't quote me). This all worked fine in Blender 2.36 but no joy in 2.37a. Anyway, I tried all sorts, found a later version of Python (found several in fact and it was hard to decide which one to install) 2.2.3, and tried it.

Some scripts would then run, but not properly. Others would run OK but insanely slowly, like taking twenty minutes to export an .OBJ file that previoiusly had taken about ten seconds (I kid you not).

I just deleted all the updates for pythonscript and installed from the backup to recover the original Apple installation and guess what? All my Pythonscripts now work fine in Blender 2.36 AND 2.37a.

Just posting this for others on old Macs, so you don't get stuck with all the frustration I have had over the past two days.

I may also post this elsewhere so new users can find it more easily.

Regards,

The Fire Angel.

stiv

Post by stiv »

I'm not sure I understand all this, not being an osxer.

However, the last few official releases of Blender have used Python 2.3. The next release *will* use 2.4.

matt_e

Post by matt_e »

I was under the impression that Apple only started bundling Python with OS X 10.3. Until then, we'd had to use fink or something. What exactly do you mean by "While using Blender 2.36 I had upgraded my Python installation from that provided by Apple (2.2) to a later version I think 2.2.1 (but don't quote me)."

ascotan

Post by ascotan »

Blender 2.36 wouldn't find your 2.2 python install anyway. The interpreter was running embedded most likely.