FBX and Collada

Scripting in Blender with Python, and working on the API

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

rcas
Posts: 0
Joined: Tue Aug 31, 2004 6:08 pm
Location: Portugal
Contact:

FBX and Collada

Post by rcas » Mon Dec 26, 2005 6:55 pm

Just read this here.

Seems like the FBX SDK will bring Collada support soon.
This opens up alot of possibilities, meaning that if I do an import / export script that uses the SDK API I will be able to import / export both FBX and Collada files.

This just seems wonderfull to me.

I was going to continue the current script work for next version, since the coder that started it don't really have much time now, but since this came to my attention maybe I can do something even better.

I would like some opinions from the experts.


-- Rui --

NOTE: On the GPL issue, there is no Problem, I will build a wrapper in LGPL that makes the interface between the SDK and the Python API, meaning we could bundle the SDK with Blender, since it is free, but that is another issue.
How to use a Blender:
Put your model, rig, animation and textures in the Blender, turn the Blender on and wait for it to Render, then turn the Blender off and show it to your friends.

rcas
Posts: 0
Joined: Tue Aug 31, 2004 6:08 pm
Location: Portugal
Contact:

Post by rcas » Mon Dec 26, 2005 7:02 pm

By the way, looks like Wings 3D already uses it.
How to use a Blender:
Put your model, rig, animation and textures in the Blender, turn the Blender on and wait for it to Render, then turn the Blender off and show it to your friends.

LetterRip
Posts: 0
Joined: Thu Mar 25, 2004 7:03 am

Post by LetterRip » Mon Dec 26, 2005 8:15 pm

RCAS an LGPL wrapper wouldn't work - but you could do library loading similar to how tiff or quicktime are done.

LetterRip

LetterRip
Posts: 0
Joined: Thu Mar 25, 2004 7:03 am

Post by LetterRip » Mon Dec 26, 2005 8:43 pm

hmmm maybe i'm misunderstanding what you are planning - I thought at first you meant a lgpl wrappen and then direct access via internal methods - but on rereading perhaps you mean a wrapper and then access via python. I think that would qualify as 'mere aggregation' and thus we could distribute them together. (Of course convincing Ton might be a bit more of a challenge - also not sure what the FBX lib license is on how it can be distributed)

LetterRip

rcas
Posts: 0
Joined: Tue Aug 31, 2004 6:08 pm
Location: Portugal
Contact:

Post by rcas » Mon Dec 26, 2005 8:49 pm

LetterRip wrote:hmmm maybe i'm misunderstanding what you are planning - I thought at first you meant a lgpl wrappen and then direct access via internal methods - but on rereading perhaps you mean a wrapper and then access via python. I think that would qualify as 'mere aggregation' and thus we could distribute them together. (Of course convincing Ton might be a bit more of a challenge - also not sure what the FBX lib license is on how it can be distributed)

LetterRip
It was that approach yes.

And Wings 3D is GPL and uses it, so I will ask them how they did it, won't take much time with it.

Will make a nice Document on it if needed to send to Ton, but that is later on, for now there isn't much problem.


-- Rui --
How to use a Blender:
Put your model, rig, animation and textures in the Blender, turn the Blender on and wait for it to Render, then turn the Blender off and show it to your friends.

LetterRip
Posts: 0
Joined: Thu Mar 25, 2004 7:03 am

Post by LetterRip » Mon Dec 26, 2005 9:32 pm

RCAS

wings3d owns all the code they use, ie no external GPL dependencies so they are free to make any linking exception they want to.

We don't have that ability since we make use of large amounts of code not owned by the Blender Foundation,

LetterRip

rcas
Posts: 0
Joined: Tue Aug 31, 2004 6:08 pm
Location: Portugal
Contact:

Post by rcas » Mon Dec 26, 2005 11:24 pm

LetterRip wrote:RCAS

wings3d owns all the code they use, ie no external GPL dependencies so they are free to make any linking exception they want to.

We don't have that ability since we make use of large amounts of code not owned by the Blender Foundation,

LetterRip
Ok, I thought it was GPLed.

But in any case, there won't be a problem, in the worst case I must do a library that accesses the FBX SDK and use python to export it from Blender.
Anyway, I wanted some opinions on this. You know Blender and Py API better then me.

I will need some help later on, but I'm sure everyone will assist me when I ask for help :) .
First I will check Collada and VRML Export / Import scripts and try to do the architecture for the plugin previously, so I can avoid recodes afterwards.


-- Rui --
How to use a Blender:
Put your model, rig, animation and textures in the Blender, turn the Blender on and wait for it to Render, then turn the Blender off and show it to your friends.

kakapo
Posts: 0
Joined: Sat Sep 04, 2004 2:32 pm

Post by kakapo » Tue Dec 27, 2005 5:24 pm

i think this really would be very useful!

in my opinion the biggest task will be doing the python binding for the fbx sdk (but maybe only a subset of the functionality is needed?). on the blender python side it shouldn't be that difficult.

do you plan to use swig or something like that?

rcas
Posts: 0
Joined: Tue Aug 31, 2004 6:08 pm
Location: Portugal
Contact:

Post by rcas » Tue Dec 27, 2005 6:53 pm

kakapo wrote:i think this really would be very useful!

in my opinion the biggest task will be doing the python binding for the fbx sdk (but maybe only a subset of the functionality is needed?). on the blender python side it shouldn't be that difficult.

do you plan to use swig or something like that?
Could you explain better what is "swig" ?
How to use a Blender:
Put your model, rig, animation and textures in the Blender, turn the Blender on and wait for it to Render, then turn the Blender off and show it to your friends.

rcas
Posts: 0
Joined: Tue Aug 31, 2004 6:08 pm
Location: Portugal
Contact:

Post by rcas » Tue Dec 27, 2005 6:55 pm

If you mean the wrapper, I don't know yet, never used it before.
How to use a Blender:
Put your model, rig, animation and textures in the Blender, turn the Blender on and wait for it to Render, then turn the Blender off and show it to your friends.

kakapo
Posts: 0
Joined: Sat Sep 04, 2004 2:32 pm

Post by kakapo » Tue Dec 27, 2005 7:14 pm

yes, i meant the wrapper generator.

rcas
Posts: 0
Joined: Tue Aug 31, 2004 6:08 pm
Location: Portugal
Contact:

Post by rcas » Tue Dec 27, 2005 8:10 pm

kakapo wrote:yes, i meant the wrapper generator.
Have you used it ?
How to use a Blender:
Put your model, rig, animation and textures in the Blender, turn the Blender on and wait for it to Render, then turn the Blender off and show it to your friends.

kakapo
Posts: 0
Joined: Sat Sep 04, 2004 2:32 pm

Post by kakapo » Tue Dec 27, 2005 8:36 pm

yes, but only for wrapping simple things. for bigger projects you probably have to be a better programmer than i am. :) with a better understanding of c/c++ and so on...

i guess it would make sense to use a wrapper generator like swig. it will be less work than doing it manually for sure. other possibilities would be pyrex (only works for wrapping c though) or boost::python (i never tried that).

rcas
Posts: 0
Joined: Tue Aug 31, 2004 6:08 pm
Location: Portugal
Contact:

Post by rcas » Wed Dec 28, 2005 3:26 am

kakapo wrote:yes, but only for wrapping simple things. for bigger projects you probably have to be a better programmer than i am. :) with a better understanding of c/c++ and so on...

i guess it would make sense to use a wrapper generator like swig. it will be less work than doing it manually for sure. other possibilities would be pyrex (only works for wrapping c though) or boost::python (i never tried that).
Thanks for the tips.

Will try swig then, if I have any doubts will post them here.

-- Rui --
How to use a Blender:
Put your model, rig, animation and textures in the Blender, turn the Blender on and wait for it to Render, then turn the Blender off and show it to your friends.

henti
Posts: 0
Joined: Wed May 12, 2004 7:39 pm
Contact:

Post by henti » Wed Jan 04, 2006 12:09 pm

Fbx support would be great, im working in the game development, with blender, and 3dsmax, but i hate max's bone system, it would be great to skin in blender, and export it to motion builder.

Post Reply