DirectX9Exporter for Blender 2.41 seems fixed

Post by manthrax »

I have updated the DirectX9 .x file exporter to work with Blender 2.41

You can get the latest version at:
http://www.vectorslave.com/blender/
and:
http://www.vectorslave.com/DirectX9Exporter.py

checkout my site at http://www.vectorslave.com/

Please feel free to send feedback! Thanks in advance!

Happy Exporting,

-manthrax

LetterRip

Post by LetterRip »

is directx 9 backwards compatible with 8? If not perhaps we should bundle it as a sperate exporter.

LetterRip

manthrax

How could we get it in the Tree?

Post by manthrax »

I have never tested the exporter with DX8, but my instinct is that it is backwards compatible, at least for simple meshes.

The script that it was based on is Arben Omari's DirectX8 exporter, and I updated the script name to reflect the version of DirectX I was using.

As of installing 2.41 I notice 2 entries for directX .x, under the export menu. There is no indication in the names as to what the differences are.
They appear to be 2 completely different scripts and it is not clear whether they support armature/animation export.

I have been running my export script (DirectX9Exporter.py v1.1)exclusively by opening it in a text window and running it with alt-P.

The version I have modified is the only version I know of that exports, transforms, meshes, materials, texturenames and animations, correctly.

I modified this exporter since the DX exporters bundled with blender did not export Materials, correctly, Texturenames, atall, nor armatures and animations.

I believe that the version I am maintaining is the most functional DX exporter for Blender, to be found, and I would like to know if anyone knows of any other contenders.

I would really *love* to see it replace whatever partially functional versions are bundled with the current blender release, but I am not positive how to go about this.
At the very least, settling on the most functional version of the exporter script available, and consolidating the export entries into one item would be an improvement.
I think Arben Omari would welcome this as well.

If anyone could shed light on this it would be appreciated!!!!

-manthrax

Ben

Post by Ben »

The version you have posted dont work with 241.It uses the old
api for the armatures so cannot work.
...maybe the link is wrong :wink:
manthrax wrote:I have never tested the exporter with DX8, but my instinct is that it is backwards compatible, at least for simple meshes.
yes it's compatible,not only for the simple meshes
As of installing 2.41 I notice 2 entries for directX .x, under the export menu. There is no indication in the names as to what the differences are.
They appear to be 2 completely different scripts and it is not clear whether they support armature/animation export.
yes and I dont know why.I wrote to Leterrip to exlude the old
DirectX Exporter,but it's still there.They have also included a
modified version of Jox which cannot work with 241 .

The version I have modified is the only version I know of that exports, transforms, meshes, materials, texturenames and animations, correctly.
I modified this exporter since the DX exporters bundled with blender did not export Materials, correctly, Texturenames, atall, nor armatures and animations.
In the last exporter there are only two small bugs in exporting materials
and weights(when are not 1),but since most of the people which uses
this exporter use UV texture this is not a great problem.
Anyway, in a few days another DirectX exporter is coming,which supports
hierarchies,animation with costraints ,will have a gui and will fix the
small bugs above.So if you have any idea how to improve to make
it the "most functional" you are welcome.

Ben

LetterRip

Post by LetterRip »

hrmm,

not sure why it is there, I coulda sworn it was removed from the repository locally. Once you both are ready, let me know (just email bf-python or email me directly) and I'll remove the old versions and replace with the new one.

LetterRip

womanonfire

problems

Post by womanonfire »

Ben,
with your updated exporter for 2.41 my models are exported sideways, rotated 90 degrees. It seems have rotated the model at some point. Even after I 'Apply size and rotation' the exporter still exports them sideways. (is this a possible reason? Your exporter somehow knows that my cube used to be rotated 90 degrees in another direction before it became a tree?)

Also when I click "Export Selected" it does not export more than one selected object at a time. It seems to only export the last thing I selected and not all of the selected objects.

Ben

Post by Ben »

Have you tried this last version:
http://xoomer.virgilio.it/glabro1/python241.html

Ben

oin

Post by oin »

Hi,

The script , the latest one up there, I tested today (sorry for my delay, Ben, I have ben having some personal overload and forgot to check )

I made it work via baking with all type of constraints that I use: track to, copy to, copy rotation, ik solvers(and probaly others). All pointing to empties. Weights and bones, and forcing it to jump changing root location in world space (not just in-place ). testing the "feet glued to floor" effect that I put to my anims ;)

Really cool to see the thing run the same at my several x viewers. :)
Could even make it work at Ultimate Unwrap, thanks to the new GUI settings. No need to touch the text script :)

It may be me, but i saw it go faster(better performance)?

Kudos for a great work ( and the new GUI is really nice :) ) Multiple meshes get exported in the x file, also(like a floor reference, etc.

And Blender 2.41 is really good for animation. :)

I wont list here again the huge amount of *.x based game engines that now can use Blender. :)

Ben

Post by Ben »

Hey Oin!
Nice to hear you again.Thank you for testing that script and for
all tests you've done before.Glad to know it works well for you.
-In a few days I'll upload another release of the exporter which will
include some options in normals exporting and the swapyz for the
"Export selected object"(x womanonfire).

Thanks again
Ben

oin

Post by oin »

very cool :)

I am interested too, in any move done in the non- need-of bake for all the constraints :) , but the fact is that as is, any fully advanced character animation can be done with total accuracy, thanks to the plugin's mature state. 8)

womanonfire

Post by womanonfire »

okay ben. thanks for working on this. but now it seems export sel is completely broken. when i put two cubes in a scene, select one, and export sel, i get an empty .x file. what could the matter be? :shock: did you test it?

Ben

Post by Ben »

-It has been tested and worked well!The version with swap yz
for selected
http://xoomer.virgilio.it/glabro1/DirectXExporter241.py