Weird Blender crash

Scripting in Blender with Python, and working on the API

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

kostya_z

Weird Blender crash

Post by kostya_z »

Hi,
I am giving a try to this new updated blender2cal3d_2 script. And my Blender (2.41) crashes when trying to process an IPO block here

Code: Select all

for ipo in ipos.values():
  if ipo.getNBezPoints(0) > nbez:
in Animation part of exporting.
I checked, it crashes exactly on ipo.getNBezPoints(0), I tried replacing this call with any other call to the IPO - the same effect, it crashes. So I decided to check if for type then with Blender.Types.IpoType - all objects are of an IPO type, but because of some weird reasons it still crashes! I had a print out of all IPO blocks processed before it crashes - not a single IPO block that was processed before the one that crashed contained any interpolation, therefore I may suspect that because of some reasons Blender crashes on IPOs that have some interpolation information. Also in my animation only IK solvers have some interpolation information (I didn't bake the animation just yet). Without IK solvers nothing crashes and if the animation is baked everything is alright then. Therefore I may assume that IK solvers IPOs with some interpolation information cause Blender's crash.
But then it means that in order to export with the given exporter I need to avoid processing that Action, which is not quite right.
What's the reason for that? And what's the cure?

Thank you,
Kostya.

kostya_z

Post by kostya_z »

197 views (at the moment of writing this message) and not a single reply :) . Do you think it makes sense to submit it to Bug Tracker?

ascotan

Post by ascotan »

Submit it as a bug. Please include a .blend file that illustrates the problem.

an-toni

Post by an-toni »

making a test-case (a simple blend ppl can use to try if they get the crash) and posting that to the bug tracker would help, you can also mention it on the bf-python mailing list to give a heads-up .. not all api devs read forums, and the easier they/we can reproduce the better.

i have used ipos via py a lot otherwise, but not with IKs.

~Toni

Sheppy

This crash is still around!

Post by Sheppy »

I just got this as soon as I added a second animation action to my scene. This is running the latest blender2cal3d.py script I could (plus a few local mods that should have no bearing) and blender 2.42

stiv

Post by stiv »

Put it in the bug tracker with an example .blend so we can test it against the current cvs code.

Sheppy

Weird Blender crash

Post by Sheppy »

I couldn't repro the crash with a simpler model. However moving to the test build for 2.43 the crash turned into a helpful error indicating that the index used (0) was invalid.

Modifying the code locally to look like this....

Code: Select all

if len(ipo) > 0:
              nbez = ipo.getNBezPoints(0)
....fixes the crash (and the animations seem to look right on the target application) but leaves me wondering exactly what information the exporter is missing due to hard coding on index 0.

Given the better behavior of the upcoming release I'm holding off the bug. Surely I will be submitting more in the future (and hopefully will get to fix one or two as well)!

BTW I don't think I mentioned how cool Blender is. Its pretty damn cool!

LetterRip

Post by LetterRip »

here is a location for a highly updated cal3d exporter,

http://download.gna.org/soya/Soya-0.13rc2.tar.bz2

updated a day ago :)

LetterRip