bf-blender / Windows (2005/04/18)

User-contributed CVS development builds. Please test and give feedback!

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

theeth

Post by theeth »

SamAdam wrote:yeah theeth, the problem is still there.

in my same file try duplicating the plane and then scaling it: shift-D, SKEY, 1 0 0. you should see it there.

it only scales in one dimension.
Works ok with my builds and with the one posted in this thread. You're not press Tab when entering the values, right?

Martin
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans.
- John Lennon

RRuiz

Post by RRuiz »

Greate job on the SB. Only one thing. When I do an little animation from 1 to 100 and I only want, for example, form the frame 50 to 100 the softh body start from the first interaction. There is like a record button that pass the sb calculation to the mesh ipo?. An example will be a simple flag. I want to see my flag waving, no when is stiff and then waving. . . . Maybe that's include and I mist it.

Thanks again

Un Saludo

Skelet

M blur

Post by Skelet »

Are you going to fix softbodyes+mblur problem? It just doesn't do nothing :roll:
The Skelet

cog

Re: M blur

Post by cog »

Skelet wrote:Are you going to fix softbodyes+mblur problem? It just doesn't do nothing :roll:
Hi Skelet,

Motion blur works fine for me with softbody and whilst I am not a developer I'm sure they will require more detail. When you say it doesn't do nothing do you mean motion blur fails to work with your tests or that Blender crashes or what?

Cog

bjornmose

Re: M blur

Post by bjornmose »

Skelet wrote:Are you going to fix softbodyes+mblur problem? It just doesn't do nothing :roll:
Rule says: stepping back in time resets softbody, so i think thats what happens. Mblur wants to move back to the past.
[edit]
hehe, cog is right:
only happens when blur factor f > 0.5
[/edit]

For the same reason weird time warps in NLA don't work.

Plans are as follows:
1. Provide softbody simulation baking. (problem here is the mountains of data generated)
2. Use baked motion (which allows going back again) for NLA and rendering

this also answers to RRuiz
Once you have calculations stored to file, you can start rendering at any frame.
BM
Last edited by bjornmose on Wed Apr 20, 2005 2:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

harkyman

Post by harkyman »

SB and the Wind are great fun to play with.

A suggestion for the Wind effector, made elsewhere, but I'll repeat it here with a picture, because it would be a rocking enhancement. Allow the addition of a single texture channel to these particle effectors. The amplitude and direction can be perturbed by the normal value (if the chosen texture outputs normal info) or just the simple value (if there's no normal info). You can use Global coords, the Orco of the effector object, or specify another object to steal coords from.

This would make superb SB animation effects on things like hair, grass, leaves/branches, flags. Pretty much anything. Here's my crappy Effects panel with texture widgets added:

If it was anyone else but Ton who had put in the Wind effect, I'd just bug them directly, but the guy's got plenty on his plate already. Just hoping this gets a notice, as the coding-difficulty/awesome-effects ratio seems really good on this.

kencanvey

Post by kencanvey »

Harkyman :

Thanks for making the idea a lot clearer :D

Ken

(Hey everyone I had a good idea!!!.....oooh my head hurts :D )

Bellorum

Post by Bellorum »

Thanks for the build, Gabio. Softbody work, is mostly awesome:) On a sidenote, it seems the silent treatment has worked, and people have either gotten tired of nagging about ctrl for switching being the devil's work, or simply accept it as an inevitable evil. But since we're closing in on the next official release, I'd like to be a little pest and say that IT SUCKS! There you go;) The "dragging/tweaking" functionality is also still unintuitive (in real life I grab something, and then let go). That's all.
There's no such thing as democracy. There's only the tyranny of one, and the tyranny of many.

SamAdam

Post by SamAdam »

theeth wrote:

in my same file try duplicating the plane and then scaling it: shift-D, SKEY, 1 0 0. you should see it there.

Works ok with my builds and with the one posted in this thread. You're not press Tab when entering the values, right?

Martin
just what i wrote.

no other buttons.

SamAdam

Post by SamAdam »

SamAdam wrote:
theeth wrote:

Martin
just what i wrote.

no other buttons.
never mind, i guess that it is fixed.

but now I can't add any objects!
Okay, when I had my video capture program running, and then I quit it, i couldn't see the objects that I just added.
is that a sign that something is missing? i was using Fraps and the number was in the lower panel.

but now it is fixed.

Sutabi

Post by Sutabi »

did something break? I was encoding softbodies with jpg avi and either its the encoder or blender isn't playing nice.

http://www.sutabi.tk/images/Animations/0002_0250.avi

HiNMity

Post by HiNMity »

Bellorum wrote:Thanks for the build, Gabio. Softbody work, is mostly awesome:) On a sidenote, it seems the silent treatment has worked, and people have either gotten tired of nagging about ctrl for switching being the devil's work, or simply accept it as an inevitable evil. But since we're closing in on the next official release, I'd like to be a little pest and say that IT SUCKS! There you go;) The "dragging/tweaking" functionality is also still unintuitive (in real life I grab something, and then let go). That's all.
No people do not like the ctrl for switching but what can we do, its those who deside the shortcuts thats in charge. Personally id love to see customisable shortcuts for all keys/commands. And about the tweaking i agree, it would be much faster from a modellers perspective if tweaking didnt need klicking for ending the movement.

joeri

Post by joeri »

HiNMity wrote:
Bellorum wrote:Thanks for the build, Gabio. Softbody work, is mostly awesome:) On a sidenote, it seems the silent treatment has worked, and people have either gotten tired of nagging about ctrl for switching being the devil's work, or simply accept it as an inevitable evil. But since we're closing in on the next official release, I'd like to be a little pest and say that IT SUCKS! There you go;) The "dragging/tweaking" functionality is also still unintuitive (in real life I grab something, and then let go). That's all.
No people do not like the ctrl for switching but what can we do, its those who deside the shortcuts thats in charge. Personally id love to see customisable shortcuts for all keys/commands. And about the tweaking i agree, it would be much faster from a modellers perspective if tweaking didnt need klicking for ending the movement.
I don't dislike the ctrl.
There, now the developers can say other users like it and that blender is not about you.

It does make the move to user definable keys more difficult, i think.

Bellorum

Post by Bellorum »

joeri wrote: I don't dislike the ctrl.
There, now the developers can say other users like it and that blender is not about you.

It does make the move to user definable keys more difficult, i think.
Yeah, I as waiting for that. I was voicing my own opinion, and I have no doubt some do not have any problems with it. But, considering the outcry at first, I get the feeling that, like I said, people have just "accepted" it. A direct shortcut will always be the best solution, imo, and I still cannot understand why g,r,s would be a problem. But then again, I'm not a coder.
Last edited by Bellorum on Thu Apr 21, 2005 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There's no such thing as democracy. There's only the tyranny of one, and the tyranny of many.

solmax

Post by solmax »

Bellorum wrote:Yeah, I as waiting for that. I was voicing my own opinion, and I have no doubt some do not have any problems with it. But, considering the outcry at fist, I get the feeling that, like I said, people have just "accepted" it. A direct shortcut will always be the best solution, imo, and I still cannot understand why g,r,s would be a problem. But then again, I'm not a coder.
GRS was NOT a problem, it worked perfectly. I also still think CTRl sucks, and no, i didn't get used to it - it makes working slower because of multiple cycling after accidental mode changes (e.g. after zooming with CTRL+MMB). I know there are other (more important?) things to be worked on, but "the ppl responsible" didn't argue at all why CTRL is "better". And changing it back shouldn't be such a problem.

It's so annoying that such a tiny thing has to be discussed so much. however useability is a killer argument for a software, and this CTRL is the wrong direction. pls, simply change it back!