Wish: naming object before creating

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

coltseaver

Wish: naming object before creating

Post by coltseaver »

It's a simple wish, i know we have the float panel, field in mesh panel or again the Outliner for renaming a obj, but i find it pretty annoying to be not able to do that when/before creating the obj.

also, it'd be appreciate if when you're renaming an obj, it renames the linked datablock automatically.

what d'you think?

ciao

note: i miss the good old Nkey with its automatic focus no mouse mouvement needed... :)

joeri

Post by joeri »

What would you be naming if it was not created yet?

Or do you mean some text box somewhere and you just type a funny name in there and everthing you create (mesh, ipo, curve) will get that name?

Say the name would be "building" and you add a mesh then the mesh name will be "building.001" and the object (linked to the mesh) would be called "building.002" ? And the material applied would be "building.003" ? And if you insert a location key it would be in IPO "building.004"...

I can see this being handy when you want to create alot of the same things, but can get in the way when creating alot of different things.
It might be handy to have some formatting in the free-name-button, like say {TYPE}_building creates ME_building for the mesh and OB_building for an object. Or man_{TYPE} creates man_IPO for an IPO...
It could be {TYPE}.{NUM} by default to keep current behaiviour.

coltseaver

Post by coltseaver »

Hi Joeri,
What would you be naming if it was not created yet?
Lol, please Joeri, what i mean it's when you click for creating the mesh or anything else, you could get directly a textbox letting us enter the name before or just after creating.

In this way, we could spare some mouse movement/clicks.
In fact, a quick way to rename a thing without move your mouse/pen like a textbox with direct focus. This is what i meant by the good old NKey.

cheers:

ps: I know, this wish is pity, missing of hypes stuff (Flash™/fluids/SkyGen), not appealing thus. :)
ps2:Joeri, when you save a file, you name it until it is created, isn't it? ;)

joeri

Post by joeri »

A yes, wrub it in that I'm not to smart.

Ofcourse the way you say it would mean a forced extra popup for everybody.
Naming things is very good so that does not need to be a bad thing.

o6a

Post by o6a »

You could try the BMAE script. Although its main function is the creation of meshes using USStandard/Metric measurements it does allow you to name these meshes on the ME and OB level before they're created.

coltseaver

Post by coltseaver »

Thank you o6a, but that's not like this.

The old NKey* behaviour is closer to what i mean but during the creation.

cheer

* <Blender 2.28