How to get the 3D Connexion SpaceNavigator working

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

Jessy

How to get the 3D Connexion SpaceNavigator working

Post by Jessy »

There is supposedly support for this device now, and I never want to do 3D again without it. How the heck do you make it work with Blender?! 2.45 brings fbx exporting, and that's awesome, but this is the feature I really want!

Thanks!

(If it matters, I'm using Mac OS X on an Intel machine.)

stiv

Post by stiv »

A cool feature, indeed! 3Dconnection deserves a mention for their support and hardware contributions.

Right the device support is only in the ndof development branch. The latest official release, 2.45, contains bugfixes and some script updates.

You can get a test build with 3dconnexion support from the good people at Blender Builds:
http://www.blenderbuilds.com/2007/08/05 ... h-a-prize/

Let us know how it turns out.

Jessy

Post by Jessy »

That build won't open on my computer. This is not a "cool" feature. This is what I would call an ESSENTIAL feature. Try a SpaceNavigator. You won't go back.

And you'll start swearing at the creators of 3D software when thay don't add support. :evil: (for Blender, I appreciate the efforts of all involved. I just wish it wouldn't be advertised when it doesn't work. For commercial programs, they should be positively ashamed for not getting on the ball.)

kidb

Post by kidb »

Jessy wrote:I just wish it wouldn't be advertised when it doesn't work. For commercial programs, they should be positively ashamed for not getting on the ball.)
As far as I know there is no official release with spacenavigator support.

stiv

Post by stiv »

Space Navigator support is not in the official release versions yet. That is why we don't 'advertise' it. There are tech previews available from various user sites.

Looking at the commit logs for the ndof branch, it *does* work, the developers are just squashing a couple remaining bugs.

Jessy

Post by Jessy »

stiv wrote:Space Navigator support is not in the official release versions yet. That is why we don't 'advertise' it.
http://3dconnexion.com/solutions/cad/all_sup_app.php

I e-mailed those unethical jerks, but they said they won't remove their asterisk. I don't deal well with liars.

Also, they don't even list Cheetah 3D, which has crappy SpaceNavigator support, but at least it does SOMETHING, unlike with Blender. The SpaceNavigator is wonderful, but 3Dconnexion are acting like dirty scamps.

stiv

Post by stiv »

...those unethical jerks...dirty scamps
I don't quite understand the 'remove their asterisk' bit, and probably don't care. And yes, listing Blender support may be a little getting a little ahead of the game. Even so, I have to take exception to your ranting.

3Dconnexion used to have a very restrictive and IMHO, stupid licensing agreement. It was incompatible with open source and contained a couple of clauses we were simply unwilling or unable to comply with. I have sneered at them publicly for this. This has changed remarkably.

Since they contacted us about Blender support for the Space Navigator, they changed their licensing agreement to address our concerns. They tasked one of their programmers, Ettore Pasquini, to help with the coding and technical support. They donated a number of the expensive versions of the Space Navigator to the Blender Foundation. It has been quite a turnaround.

As for the claim of Blender support, 3Dconnexion has done their part. Thanks, Ettore! The code is in one of our development branches and is freely available. Our next version (2.46) will, in all probability, include the Space Nav code. Working Blender builds with Space Navigator support are available now from user sites on the net.

I am sorry the version you tried does not work on your box. Since you did not mention any details (warning: pet peeve mode activated), my SWAG is you have python problems - missing or incorrect vesion. Assuming you downloaded the right build for your platform.

disclaimer: I paid for a Space Navigator out of my own pocket because it *is* cool, but have not installed it yet.

Jessy

Post by Jessy »

Correct! I will not install python 2.5 on the advice of many peers at unity3d.com.

I am sorry that you take offense at my complaints. Once again, I don't put up with lies. Ettore doesn't see their X (sorry, I said asterisk before) as a lie. I do. A liar will not receive kindness from me, though I did let Ettore know my feelings on the subject.

As for why this makes me so angry: I can see people buying this because of how amazing it looks in the videos, and because they use Blender. Until someone with Mac OS X can reliably install Blender and have their SpaceNavigator supported, what 3Dconnexion is doing is greed-induced evil.

stiv

Post by stiv »

I'm not taking offense, although 'greed induced evil' is certainly overkill here. I just think you are wrong and overwrought

Blender works on OSX. You just need a build using the appropriate version of Python. Python 2.5 is the current production version. Go yell at Apple for not getting with the program and sticking with 2.3. Maybe if you say "pretty please", someone will take pity and brew up an appropriate build for you. The fact that no-one has made one for you in particular is scant cause to rag on Ettore.

LetterRip

Post by LetterRip »

I think your response is quite a bit over the top - if you want to download a version of Blender with space navigator it is easy to do

See this thread

http://www.blenderbuilds.com/2007/08/05 ... h-a-prize/

So I think accusing them of lying is ridiculous.

Blender DOES have space navigator support; and you can readily get a build that includes it if you are so inclined.

Regarding OS X - there should be two different builds one that uses 2.5 and one that uses 2.3, just download whichever one is better suited to your usage.

LetterRip

Jessy

Post by Jessy »

If I can be assured that Python 2.5 is not going to kill performance, I'll give it a shot. I'm not going to ask someone to waste their time building something special for me. The official release of Blender uses 2.3.
LetterRip wrote:1. I think your response is quite a bit over the top

2. if you want to download a version of Blender with space navigator it is easy to do

3. So I think accusing them of lying is ridiculous.

4. you can readily get a build that includes it if you are so inclined.

5 .Regarding OS X - there should be two different builds one that uses 2.5 and one that uses 2.3

LetterRip
1. I am very angry about this. I admire your ability to be calm.

2. Lies. (relative)

3. As I see it, they are lying. I find no ridiculosity in the truth.

4. See # 2

5. Yes, there should! But no.

http://www.3dconnexion.com/solutions/blender.php

I KNOW it works. I have functional eyeballs and see the video. I like it. But their instructions do NOT work. The reason for adding this to their website at this point can only be to sell devices. I bought one. I recommend that every computer user in the world buy one. But I recommend 3Dconnexion cut their unethical practices immediately.

stiv

Post by stiv »

The official release of Blender uses 2.3.
Actually, the official Blender Python version is 2.5. For platforms that are lagging behind the curve, we also make a Py 2.4 version. Or even 2.3 in the case of OSX where they are lagging way behind.

You might want to direct some of your outrage towards Apple, since their lack of Python support is a root cause of your predicament.

Generally speaking, in the Open Source community, we like to encourage vendors and manufacturers to work with us by opening APIs, SDKs, and license agreements. Sure, it is in their own self interest to sell more stuff. But not all of them recognize that. I am impressed that 3Dconnexion did.