Render Bug?

Blender's renderer and external renderer export

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

tim.shea

Render Bug?

Post by tim.shea »

Hi, if this is the wrong place I apologize.

I was using 2.44 on an xp box with no issues, then built my new pc vista x64 with intel g43 graphics and upgraded to 2.47 and now after I render the blender window goes all black and will not recover, everything is still there but I cannot see it. I am using the latest video drivers and have tried troubleshooting opengl settings to no avail. So now I am not sure if this is an issue with 64 bit OS, with vista, with GMA graphics, with 2.47 etc... etc.. anyone know of any issues/solutions? Thanks in advance.

jesterKing
Site Admin

Post by jesterKing »

Have you turned off Aero and all eyecandy (visual effects)? Use classical theme to turn off Aero among others. Try then again.

/Nathan

tim.shea

Post by tim.shea »

Yes, I had a separate issue with ghosted tool tips that was easily fixed by disabling aero, but I have tested and this still happens in windows classic style (i.e. no effects enabled)

Is there perhaps a hot key to reinitialize/refresh opengl for the window? Right now every time I render I have to close and reopen blender, it is getting a bit frustrating.

jesterKing
Site Admin

Post by jesterKing »

Most likely this is a problem with your drivers. I do have a 64bit system, but only with 32bit Vista installed. I have no problems with blender rendering.

If you're up to it, you might want to try older drivers, if you're already using the latest.

/Nathan

tim.shea

Post by tim.shea »

Hmm well it's worth a shot, thanks for the help, will report back.

Hokay so, updated video drivers (just released) still did not fix the issue, rolled back drivers either. Also tried compatibility mode for windows xp and running as an administrator, did not help, tried a copy of blender 2.44 I had on cd- same issue. Unfortunately I am starting to think it might be some kind of hardware issue.

tim.shea

Solved!

Post by tim.shea »

So I was blending along as usual, saving prior to every render so that when the window blacked out I could load right back from a new window, when I happened to move the render window a bit and noticed the blender window behind it refreshed the interface rather than just staying black like before. I switched windows and found that blender was still working fine so long as I leave the render window open. Close it and the black comes back though. Then I thought to try a second render from the black screen and voila! blender refreshed itself. So I am not sure why this issue exists but apparently for my particular setup closing the render window causes blender to fail, leaving it open keeps everything happy.

jesterKing
Site Admin

Post by jesterKing »

Perhaps you could try rendering with the image editor as output, instead of the render window - see if it helps. You can set it in the scene output options.

/Nathan

ariel.ultra

Post by ariel.ultra »

I have the very same issue on a Vista 32bit machine, with intel graphics. Blender version is 2.47, though i didn't try it with an earlier version.

The render window appears black and only reveals itself after I drag it around when it's finished. This is of course a problem with long renders as I cannot tell when the render finished and have to periodically drag it...

Was wondering if anyone found a solution for that by now?
Thanks!

strictlyaudio

Post by strictlyaudio »

I,too, am having this problem. It's on an Hp with intel video. I can't find anybody with an answer.
"You may as well cheer up,sweetie, it's probably not going to get much better"

gabrielgv

my solution

Post by gabrielgv »

disable "do composite" in the render buttons

it solved my case. i was testing dof with nodes and stuf and i turned it on. since then, my renders went to black after... rendering.
sorry about my english, still learning.
i speak spanish.
chile is a very nice place to live. even better to leave.

Quicky

Post by Quicky »

Same Problem here.

(amongst others) like the selection tools not showing the dots to grab and then your objects disapearing.

I ended up making a large timer icon and piutting it on screen when rendering and when it stopped the render was ready.