Linking objects between scenes?

General discussion about the development of the open source Blender

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

Carl

Linking objects between scenes?

Post by Carl » Mon May 12, 2003 1:21 pm

Hi!

I have used Blender for about a month and I am just beginning to be able to use it without looking at tutorials all the time. :)

Anyway... I thought I could use the scenes feature to model different objects in different scenes and then put them all together in a final scene.
The problem is that I can not figure out how to bring the objects into that final scene. What I would want is for the objects to be linked there so that it is still possible to alter their models in the other scenes and the final scene is automatically updated. Can I do this, or am I completely wrong?

Thanks for all help.

Regards
Carl

theeth

Post by theeth » Mon May 12, 2003 1:53 pm

Ctrl-L

Martin
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans.
- John Lennon

LethalSideParting

Post by LethalSideParting » Tue May 13, 2003 10:45 am

Hiya mate,
Yeah, Ctrl-L will do the trick, but there's another way which I've found:

Press Shift-F1 in a 3D window, and a 'load' window will come up (a bit like the one you get when you go File -> Open). Note the two buttons at the bottom - 'Append' and 'Link'. Link will just link the object to your scene - any changes to make to the original file will be echoed in this one too. Append simply copies the object in without the link, so you can go nuts with your model without having to worry about the original :)

Anyway, select the .blend file you want to append from and middle click it. You can then browse the contents of the blend file you selected, looking at meshes, objects, materials, surfaces etc. Right click on the ones you want to import and then hit enter. Voila!

LethalSideParting

theeth

Post by theeth » Wed May 14, 2003 10:38 pm

yeah, of course, that works too, but AFAIK, you cannot link or append from the same .blend file that you are currently using.

Martin
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans.
- John Lennon

LethalSideParting

Post by LethalSideParting » Sun May 18, 2003 3:03 am

:shock:

*Tries the Ctrl-L trick*

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Thanks Theeth!! Yeesh, I've been using Blender for nearly 3 years now, and I'm still learning... :oops:

LethalSideParting

Carl

Post by Carl » Mon May 26, 2003 8:40 am

Thanks a lot!!!

/ Carl