DRIVER PROBLEMS - Invisible Text and IBeam Cursor - FIXED

General discussion about the development of the open source Blender

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

IqAndreas

DRIVER PROBLEMS - Invisible Text and IBeam Cursor - FIXED

Post by IqAndreas » Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:35 pm

I am utterly annoyed by a small problem in Blender. I am running the newest release (2.48a) and using the newest version of Python that is supported by the current Blender release (2.5, I think).

Whenever I try to type anything into a text field, it will not show up, neither the IBeam nor the new text. I can't even remove any old text. However, when I click outside (or deselect) the textfield, whatever I wrote in the textfield, any new values or any modifications, show up. The biggest problem is that you have no idea if you have made a typo until you deselect the textfield. This happens to every text field in the entire program, weather it's saving your project, or inputting a numerical amount.

Usually what I end up doing is clicking the field, hitting the right arrow several times, hitting backspace several times, and then typing in the new value.

Do I have any settings set wrong, or is it my graphics card? I have had Blender run just fine on my HP Pavillion desktop.

I am using a HP Tablet with Microsoft XP Tablet Edition on it, and if it is a hardware problem, I can give you more detailed specs. Just ask me for what you need.

If someone could find a fix for this ASAP. It is driving me crazy. :cry:
Last edited by IqAndreas on Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

kAinStein

Post by kAinStein » Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:19 am

Sounds like a graphics card driver issue once more - so the fix would be one of the usually proposed. Search the forum...

IqAndreas

Post by IqAndreas » Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:09 am

Thanks for the prompt reply.

Could you start me off in the right direction? I am new here, and I don't really know exactly what text to search for. Perhaps "video card driver problem"?

kAinStein

Post by kAinStein » Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:32 pm

IqAndreas

Post by IqAndreas » Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:35 pm

Thank you extremely.

I found a few more related topics:
http://www.blender.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13365
http://www.blender.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12305

All have the same graphics card as I, "Mobile Intel 965 Express Chipset Family".

Solution: The current update for the driver can be found at http://support.intel.com/support/graphics/intelgm965/

Downloading... Let's hope this works.

IqAndreas

Post by IqAndreas » Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:22 pm

Since I am running Windows XP Tablet Edition, the default Windows XP Professional driver did not work(!)
However, after a Google search, I was able to find an alternative download link: http://downloadcenter.intel.com/filter_ ... &strOSs=44

However, this driver is an "Intel® Embedded Graphics Drivers (IEGD)". Is there any difference between this and a normal driver? This was the only one that supported tablet edition.

Test 2 initiating...

IqAndreas

Post by IqAndreas » Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:16 pm

:( It didn't work. I am still not quite sure what the IEGD Configuration Editor does. Can anyone help me out here?

Blender is usable, but I plan on using it a lot, and this is driving me crazy.

I need to find an updated driver for the "Mobile Intel 965 Express Chipset Family" for Windows XP Tablet Edition.

Can anyone help me out?

IqAndreas

Post by IqAndreas » Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:08 am

Problem fixed!

No matter how I tried to install the driver, since I am running Windows XP Tablet Edition, it would not update to the new version. So I finally found a way around it.

Download the ZIP of the driver (not the EXE) from http://downloadcenter.intel.com/confirm ... =&lang=eng and unpack it to the desktop (or any temporary folder for that matter).

Go to Start and right click "My Computer", and choose "Properties".

Click "Hardware" and then the "Device Manager" button.

Click "Display Adapters" so it expands to reveal "Mobile Intel 965 Express Chipset Family". Right click that, and choose "Update Driver". That should reveal the "Hardware Update Wizzard" dialog.

Select the "Install from a list or specific location (Advanced)" radio button, and click next.

IMPORTANT: Then select "Do not search. I will select the driver to install." and click next.
Note that choosing "Search for the best driver in these locations" will not work. It will not recognize the new driver as better than the one you already have.

Click the "Have Disk" button, and then "Browse" in the dialog that appears.

Browse to the location to where you unpacked the new driver, and then open the "Graphics" folder. Double click on the file named "igxp32.inf", and then click "OK".

The driver "Mobile Intel 965 Express Chipset Family" should now appear in the list. Make sure it is selected, and then click next.

Wait while Windows copies over the new driver files. When it is finished, it should prompt you to restart the computer. Note that the new settings will not take effect until the computer is restarted, but this can be done at any time.

Hopefully this will make a difference for anyone out there.

You guys are a very talkative group. :roll:

jesterKing
Site Admin

Post by jesterKing » Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:04 am

Hmm, this way of installing a driver looks like the ATi glSelect() episode for which I made a screencast. In that one I also show a very similar way as to how make sure the driver *really* gets updated (or downgraded ;) ). Good that you managed to fix your issue.

/Nathan
ps. I read even the small text :)

kAinStein

Post by kAinStein » Mon Feb 02, 2009 3:46 pm

IqAndreas wrote:Problem fixed!
I'm glad you made it through your odyssey!
You guys are a very talkative group. :roll:
I for my part don't even have your hardware... ;)