Native plugin for COLLADA conversion

Compiling, libraries, modules, coding guidelines and porting

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

houd

Native plugin for COLLADA conversion

Post by houd »

I am tasked to write a Blender native plugin to export Blender data to COLLADA format file, and import COLLADA format data to Blender.

After several days of reading Blender documents, forum topics and Blender source code, I came to the conclusion that these API's do not exist in present Blender code base, and that the only way to implement COLLADA/.blend converters in C/C++ is to either add these API's to current Blender project, or to code the converters directly into the code base. Of course there is always the option of gluing the plugin to the python script import/export code, but my goal is to bypass the python layer altogether.

Can someone please let me know that my conclusion is correct or not?

Thank you in advance.

SirDude

Post by SirDude »

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by API. Do you mean a "plugin" api?

there is source/blender/blenlib/intern/dynlib.c

Look at the libtiff stuff for an example.

Now having said that, the beauty of blender is its open source. Dynamic libs are a headache that you don't need. You have access to the source.
What I would do if you want to work on this is make it so that reading/writing files becomes more modular. But don't do it with a dynamic library. There
is no need. The reason all of these comercial apps have "plugins" is because you do not have access to the source.

Make it easy to add new file formats but you don't need to make each one a plugin.

stiv

Post by stiv »

but my goal is to bypass the python layer altogether.
The whole point of adding Python scripting to Blender was to create an easy way to add importers and exporters.

Have you looked at the existing COLLADA scripts?

fernandopulle

Post by fernandopulle »

stiv wrote:
The whole point of adding Python scripting to Blender was to create an easy way to add importers and exporters.
I think those python scripts are not good at exporting really big scene data. Having a separate plug in is better.

tlaukkan

Re: Native plugin for COLLADA conversion

Post by tlaukkan »

Great to hear someone is going to work on this. Did you know there exists open source c++ library for accessing collada files which is mentioned in the collada.org:

http://www.collada.org/mediawiki/index.php/FCollada

regards,
Tommi
houd wrote:I am tasked to write a Blender native plugin to export Blender data to COLLADA format file, and import COLLADA format data to Blender.

After several days of reading Blender documents, forum topics and Blender source code, I came to the conclusion that these API's do not exist in present Blender code base, and that the only way to implement COLLADA/.blend converters in C/C++ is to either add these API's to current Blender project, or to code the converters directly into the code base. Of course there is always the option of gluing the plugin to the python script import/export code, but my goal is to bypass the python layer altogether.

Can someone please let me know that my conclusion is correct or not?

Thank you in advance.

jesterKing
Site Admin

Post by jesterKing »

Note that there is a GSoC for 2009 for integration of COLLADA support in Blender http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/User:Chingachgook

For this FCollada was dropped as potential library, since from what I understand it hasn't been maintained anymore (since 2007/begin 2008 - the forums talk about commercial support only, and are also closed.)

Anyway, COLLADA Dom is going to be used for the integration.

/Nathan