Pyffi not found. Im trying to import/export .nifs

Post by zooloo75 » Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:57 pm

I have Python 2.6.2
I have all the needed file's for doing this process of exporting .nifs
I have Blender v249
Blender NIF Export Scripts
NifSkope
GIMP
I have all the required files to run these files.
My Pyffi folder is in the "Program Files" folder.
I am trying to mod for oblivion.

What it says when I export or import a .nif is that "Pyffi not found, check console for details"

Compiled with Python version 2.6.2.
Checking for installed Python... got it!
--------------------------
ERROR
This script requires the Python File Format Interface (PyFFI).
Make sure that PyFFI resides in your Python path or in your Blender scripts fold
er.
If you do not have it: http://pyffi.sourceforge.net/
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "<string>", line 1, in <module>
File "C:\Program Files\Blender Foundation\Blender\.blender\scripts\nif_import.
py", line 20, in <module>
from nif_common import NifImportExport
File "C:\Program Files\Blender Foundation\Blender\.blender\scripts\bpymodules\
nif_common.py", line 67, in <module>
from pyffi import __version__ as __pyffiversion__
ImportError: No module named pyffi
Xfire - Zooloo75

apwsoft

Re: Pyffi not found. Im trying to import/export .nifs

Post by apwsoft » Sat Jul 18, 2009 10:06 am

zooloo75 wrote:I have Python 2.6.2
I have Blender v249
NifSkope
GIMP

What it says when I export or import a .nif is that "Pyffi not found, check console for details"

ERROR
Make sure that PyFFI resides in your Python path or in your Blender scripts fold
er.
I have the same problem. I haven't used Blender for a year, but used it OK with nif scripts before. I didn't have to set any file paths last time and don't actually know how to do it. Could you possibly add a bit to this answer please? Sorry to be a pain but I am stuck.

stiv

Post by stiv » Sat Jul 18, 2009 4:37 pm

ERROR
This script requires the Python File Format nterface (PyFFI).
Make sure that PyFFI resides in your Python path or in your Blender scripts folder.
You need to
a) install pyffi
b) make sure it is either in your PYTHONPATH or your blender scripts folder.

Try adding the pyffi directory in "C:\Program Files" to PYTHONPATH. Python (and Blender) use the PYTHONPATH environment variable to load modules (like pyffi). It works in a similar way to the system PATH variable.

apwsoft

Post by apwsoft » Sat Jul 18, 2009 9:17 pm

stiv wrote:
ERROR
This script requires the Python File Format nterface (PyFFI).
Make sure that PyFFI resides in your Python path or in your Blender scripts folder.
You need to
a) install pyffi
b) make sure it is either in your PYTHONPATH or your blender scripts folder.

Try adding the pyffi directory in "C:\Program Files" to PYTHONPATH. Python (and Blender) use the PYTHONPATH environment variable to load modules (like pyffi). It works in a similar way to the system PATH variable.
Nope, didn't work. Quite honestly the hassle to install this isn't worth the effort. I've spent 2 hours trying this now, installing things into different directories setting different environment variables, hacking around in the registry. I used to have an older version that worked fine, although the setup of that was difficult too. I have modded for Oblivion fairly successfully in the past, and wanted to do it again so thought I'd upgrade Blender/nif stuff etc. Is there somewhere a SIMPLE click on a button and get the lot, all installed to the right forldes and all working together ? If not there ought to be, could someone please create one?

It was a LOT simpler to re-install Microsoft XP, so that tells you just how BAD this is!!! But thanks for your help, I appreciate that, it is nice for someone to spend time helping me. If I am ranting in the wrong place would it be possible to pass my rant on to someone in the right place, I think someone ought to know. There are a lot of people who may use Blender if it could be installed easier.

stiv

Post by stiv » Sun Jul 19, 2009 4:55 pm

Nope, didn't work
You didn't do it right. You need to set the system environment variable properly and then you need to log out and back in for it to take effect.

If you didn't install the pffi stuff into your Blender scripts dir, you need to set the PYTHONPATH environment variable. Find the directory where the pyffi.py file is located and add that directory name to PYTHONPATH

My compliments on a fine rant, but since the NIF scripts is not a Blender Foundation product , you might get more satisfaction ranting at the actual authors. We try to make sure the scripts we distribute run.

stevo32

Post by stevo32 » Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:10 am

I was having that problem but I have got mine working (just). The problem was Niftools was for Python 2.5 and blender 2.49 uses v. 2.6

The solution is quite simple go to this address and on the files list choose the most recent file and make sure it says 26 (2.6 not sure which) and install that to your Python 2.6.2 directory and if you still have problems make sure it goes directly there and not python26.pyFFi

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfile ... _id=199269

hope this works for you

stiv

Post by stiv » Mon Aug 03, 2009 5:09 pm

Glad it is working for you.

Python installs extension modules into a version specific directory. Installing a module with Python 2.5, for example, means it will not work with Python 2.6 unless you re-install it with that version of Python.

Blender, Python and any extension modules you install must all use the same version of Python - the one Blender prints out on the console at startup. Blender itself can be built with any version of Python from 2.4 or greater. (we used to maintain compatibility with 2.3 for OSX, but I'm not sure )

BenTravato

Post by BenTravato » Thu Aug 06, 2009 6:34 am

I was just having this same problem, only a few minutes ago actually. I was back at pyffi.sourceforge.net looking at the files. I was installing with the exe file. downloaded and opened the zip and noticed that the pyffi and script folder weren't in the install directory. i copied the zipped files to the install directory and now blender imports and exports the nifs just fine. i hope this helps, even if it doesn't, at least i tried.

Vista headache

Post by Vista headache » Sun Oct 25, 2009 3:11 pm

I too had the same problem as Zooloo75 with Vista. I also tried to follow the advise here without any luck. Finally I made sure I had the lastest version of everything (Blender, Pyffi, Nifscripts, Python 2.6). This still caused a problem, and then I also downloaded Python 2.5 (I think ? Pyffi needes this version, with both python files into C:\). The Blender dialog box showed a another error when I tried to do nif imports. Finally I used right click on my Blender short-cut and ran it as administrator and everything worked and I was able to import/export nif files. I think the big thing with Vista is using "run as administrator" for programs.
Anyway, thanks to everyone for trying to help and I hope this helps someone too.

wyebacca

Post by wyebacca » Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:25 am

@ BenTravato which install directory do you mean?

Meshinator

Re: Pyffi not found. Im trying to import/export .nifs

Post by Meshinator » Sat Feb 27, 2010 4:49 pm

zooloo75 wrote:I have Python 2.6.2
I have Blender v249
NifSkope
GIMP

ERROR
er.
follow these instructions http://cs.bethsoft.com/constwiki/index. ... ng_Blender but make sure to uninstall everything before following these instructions (blender,python,pyffi,...)