Portablility

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

Duckwagon

Portablility

Post by Duckwagon » Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:40 am

I am a big Portable Application user, as I'm a college student and I like using the same applications, with the same preferences, on every computer.

Thus my reason for using blender; It's free, awesome, and it's mostly portable/self-sustaining. There's even a build on PortableApps.com for the 2.49 (i.e. non-beta build) version.

However, I'm having a little difficulty keeping my preferences with 2.5x beta. I'd rather not have to wait for a portable build to come out; because it will require it's out of beta, and since there is a little more UI and such, it will take a little more working to get it into the right PA file layout so it will work; so in other words, it might not happen.

Most of my problem lies in the fact that on different computers, the drive letter generally changes; thus, even if I want to change the temporary file location (which is super that it has that option in that first place...) it won't work. (PA uses a 'placeholder' that the launcher refers to.)

There are a few tweaks you can do that rely heavily on scripting and/or command-line with the Portable launcher, but that's a little too complicated for me to do.

Are there any Portability tips you might have; and if possible, a way to overcome the hurdles of changing drive letters? I want to keep my default settings.

Thanks!

Datawraith

Post by Datawraith » Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:07 am

I use my USB to take Blender with me everywhere. Here is what I do.

1: Save my default settings in the startup file. (edit settings, interface, etc.)

2: Then whenever I start using UV maps, I always pack them into the .blend file so that the UV textures never come up with broken directories (letter changes).

3: I have the .Blend files on the USB along with an installation of Blender on the USB as well.

Duckwagon

Post by Duckwagon » Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:20 am

Datawraith wrote:I use my USB to take Blender with me everywhere. Here is what I do.

1: Save my default settings in the startup file. (edit settings, interface, etc.)

2: Then whenever I start using UV maps, I always pack them into the .blend file so that the UV textures never come up with broken directories (letter changes).

3: I have the .Blend files on the USB along with an installation of Blender on the USB as well.
Could I possibly get a better idea as to how exactly to do this as far as portable drives go? (mainly #1) I know how to save default settings, but it always opens on factory settings on a computer that it hasn't opened on. (thus every time on the school computers, which reset the state every restart)

Nikprodanov

Post by Nikprodanov » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:37 am

You can consider using relative paths and keeping everything in subfolders of the program's main folder. User settings aren't saved portably anymore with 2.5x, at least not by default. They are located in \Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\Blender Foundation\Blender.

To keep settings:

User settings are saved in a file called startup.blend, which should be located in the \2.5x\config\ folder. When blender.exe first runs, it looks for it - and if it cant find it, looks in the \Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\Blender Foundation\Blender directory instead. By default there is no startup.blend inside blender's own folder, so settings are saved in Documents and Settings automatically. In order to make things portable, you have to move startup.blend out of Documents and Settings and into the Blender\2.5x\config\ folder.

This will save your settings locally, the way it works with 2.4x Another thing to note is that blender is a pretty portable app in itself. You don't really need to install it, because the .zip version works just fine. Only in 2.5x you have to make sure to have a startup.blend inside the program's config subfolder, otherwise it will try to make one in Documents and Settings and ruin the portability.