Objects not visible when view port shading on solid or textu

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

solaris235

Objects not visible when view port shading on solid or textu

Post by solaris235 » Sun Apr 29, 2012 1:14 am

This may not actually be a Blender issue but I'm at a loss.
Blender 2.49 worked very well for me.
I'm running Ubuntu - Natty on an Aspire 2000
After upgrading to 2.5 and now 2.6 I have this issue.
Everything works as far as I can tell but I cannot see any object when the View port shading is set to solid or textured. The ground plan is not visible either. If I change the viewport shading to wireframe or bounding box everything is visible.
I tried going back to 2.49 but it didn't work at all.
Is it possibly an opengl problem ?
Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. I've been fighting with this for about 6 month. I really like blender.

stiv

Post by stiv » Sun Apr 29, 2012 1:26 am

solaris235

Post by solaris235 » Tue May 01, 2012 3:03 am

Didn't really help.
the view window isn't black it's the dark grey of the back ground. the coridnate indicators are visible. The cursor is visible. The manipulator arrows for the default cube are visible. The cube and the ground plane grid are not visible in shaded and textured display modes. they are visible when in wiwreframe and bounding box mode.

DorthyBluBird

Bug or Blunder? Nothing visible in Solid Mode

Post by DorthyBluBird » Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:44 pm

I too have this problem. Nothing is visible under shaded or solid mode. I have Blender 2.5, am Running Fedora 16. I admit, under 2.49 everything worked as advertised. As he says, what you see is just an endless field of background gray. There are no dark areas, no orientation grid, no cursor even. Just unrelieved gray.

Actually, I think I can see the central dot of a selected object, but that LITERALLY is all in a given 3D window. Please note this has nothing to do with my orientation, or placement of objects. I can see them just fine in wire frame. I am a skilled enough user that I can navigate pretty well. This problem is persistent even when I click "view extents" or what have you. Even in camera view you don't even see the frame of the camera.

I have to admit, it is very hard to work when all you can see is under wire frame mode.
Please help! I went through the manual, and no where does it say you have to be in a given mode to view with solid mode. If I'm wrong, and am misremembering something, please let me know. Also, solid mode is supposed to work, even if you have no lamps at all. (or so I'm told) :oops:
Fanaticism is resentment in search of power. Consumerism is apathy in search of happiness. ~ Theodore Dalrymple

DorthyBluBird

Post by DorthyBluBird » Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:47 pm

I forgot to mention, I CAN see user preferences, and all settings, as well as everything in wire mode, both in Ortho and Perspective... so I don't think it's an Open GL problem... unless i'm wrong. :)
Fanaticism is resentment in search of power. Consumerism is apathy in search of happiness. ~ Theodore Dalrymple

DorthyBluBird

Post by DorthyBluBird » Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:04 pm

Oh, and it's 2.59. Sorry!

brasshat

Post by brasshat » Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:18 pm

In the properties panel, under the object button, under the section "display", at the top of the right column in the pane, is a box labeled "type". Is it set for "textured"? If not, select the box, and set it to that value.

ns

DorthyBluBird

Blender Blunder or Bug?

Post by DorthyBluBird » Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:53 am

It was already set to that value. Neither textured mode nor shaded mode seem to display any objects save one orange dot in the center of the viewing area of the 3D Viewport, and the 3D orientation handles, and the bulls-eye cursor.

For some reason I see nothing when the objects are not selected, but do see the frame of the camera in camera mode when everything is selected. (This may be the new normal, for all I know). Also, when all objects are selected, you see their center dots, but not the objects themselves, if that helps. All changing that box does is change the stripes inside the bullseye cursor.

I have to admit my problem strongly resembles the OpenGL bug that people with VMware were experiencing. The thing is, I am not running blender under a virtual machine. And... it did work before. I have not messed with the settings at all, and everything is set up "factory standard".

Also, I did not do anything special with this file or the objects in it. All I did was delete the default cube, give the file a new name, then made five large cylinders grouped closely together.

I am skeptical of an Open GL problem, because it worked fine under the last release.
Also, I have an old ati E1000 (ver 2) video card. The expansion ROM has been disabled, if that makes a difference. So, despite the big bug fixes, I'm very tempted to regress to my last version so I can at least use the program successfully.

Do you guys want my GLX output? I can certainly post that, and my lspci. I have an old Intel Poweredge with a Xenon chipset.

Aztech

Post by Aztech » Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:06 pm

I'm having the same problem as well...Did anyone offer a solution ?
I'm using Blender 2.67

DorthyBluBird

Back... for now

Post by DorthyBluBird » Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:25 pm

I have been told that the only fix is to get a different distro, or a different computer. For complex reasons, neither of those fixes works for me. So my "fix" is to stop using Blender.
:(

Aztech

Post by Aztech » Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:17 am

I've already tried using an older release of Blender...it didn't help. I'm thinking that somehow a file common to all distributions has been corrupted. I've been using Blender without any problems for about 2 yrs. now...not ready to give up yet.
But thanks for the feedback. If I come up with a solution ...I'll be sure to post it.

Aztech

Solution

Post by Aztech » Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:04 pm

This worked for me...hope it helps.
open a terminal and type.

[moderator removed horribly bad advice]

then reboot the system.

moderator: deleting your systems graphics configuration file should never be valid way to fix graphics issues with a single application. All settings in that file can be adjusted through various control panels dealing with your graphics setup.

Aztech

Re: Solution

Post by Aztech » Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:39 am

Aztech wrote:This worked for me...hope it helps.
open a terminal and type.

[moderator removed horribly bad advice]

then reboot the system.

moderator: deleting your systems graphics configuration file should never be valid way to fix graphics issues with a single application. All settings in that file can be adjusted through various control panels dealing with your graphics setup.
Aztech:
It wasn't my intention to lead anyone down a dark path... but after weeks of trying to resolve this issue , I came across this advice, tried it and it worked for me.