Python problems on Mac OS X Jaguar

Scripting in Blender with Python, and working on the API

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

acas7i11o

Python problems on Mac OS X Jaguar

Post by acas7i11o » Thu Nov 20, 2003 4:59 pm

I don't know if it just me but I haven't been able to run any python scripts from Blender on Mac OS X. They run fine on Windows and Linux but on OS X I get an error message saying Error in other (possible external) file, check console. This brings me to another question, where is the console in the OSX version?. I even installed MacPython to no avail.

Thanks in advance,
Andrés

melvinator

Post by melvinator » Sun Nov 23, 2003 7:20 pm

I've been having this same problem now that I've moved to 2.30a and MacOSX 10.3 (Panther). I've installed python 2.2.3 to no avail also. Some help would be appreciated greatly!

acas7i11o - look in /Applications/Utilities/ for an app called console. It basically is a redirected stdio for apps that get launched from the finder (maybe from the terminal too). Sadly no more information is there than the "import site failed" message as reported in other posts.

Anyway I've really taken a liking to blender, I just hope that my export scripts will run again.

Don

melvinator

Post by melvinator » Tue Nov 25, 2003 1:11 am

Hmm it (python) seems to be only broken in 2.30a as both 2.28a and 2.28c still have python functionality.

Don

fligh

Post by fligh » Tue Nov 25, 2003 5:07 am

beepy

Post by beepy » Sat Jan 03, 2004 7:44 pm

has anyone gotten Blender 2.31a to run any Python in Mac OS X? I've tried every trick I could think of to get it to work in Mac OS X 10.3, including installing Python 2.2.3, setting the PYTHONHOME environment variable and launching Blender from the command line without success.

I also note that Blender 2.25 worked fine with the default install of Python 2.3.2 in Mac OS X 10.3 without any fiddling.

celtxian

Anyone come up with an answer yet?

Post by celtxian » Sun Jul 18, 2004 1:13 am

Hi
I am something of a newbie with both Blender and Python. I am running the latest version of Blender for OS X (10.2.8), have installed latest version of MacPython and am trying to run scripts.

1. Where should they be stored?
2. Do they run with the above setup or is it a feature yet to be available with OS X?

Kind regards

beepy

Post by beepy » Sun Jul 18, 2004 5:52 pm

I don't know about Mac OS X 10.2 but the version of Blender I am now using, 2.33a, worked "out of the box" with Mac OS X 10.3.

My use of Python scripts has been limited to opening a script in the text view in Blender and executing it from there. I don't know about "installing" scripts in special locations.

lukep

Re: Anyone come up with an answer yet?

Post by lukep » Mon Jul 19, 2004 9:47 pm

celtxian wrote:Hi
I am something of a newbie with both Blender and Python. I am running the latest version of Blender for OS X (10.2.8), have installed latest version of MacPython and am trying to run scripts.

1. Where should they be stored?
2. Do they run with the above setup or is it a feature yet to be available with OS X?

Kind regards
let me clarify some points :

* there is 2 versions of blender on Os X, one for 10.2, one for 10.3. are you using the right one ?
* Python works directly on Os X 10.3 as we use the version provided in system
* for 10.2, python *must* be installed with fink, macPython won't work (shared code with the core compiled in blender)
* it doesn't matter where scripts are put unless you want to run a multi-file script. In this case, define the python folder in blender preferences. You will have to copy the built-in scripts (in the contents/ressource folder of the package) in this folder too.