Blender Will Not Work Help?

User-contributed CVS development builds. Please test and give feedback!

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

jcross2175

Blender Will Not Work Help?

Post by jcross2175 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:31 pm

I have tried all the versions of blender in the parent directory, and none of them will work. They download fine, then when I click on the icon, it opens a 'command prompt-like' window. That looked okay to me (but i don't know what is meant to happen, so that may not be meant to happen) after about thirty seconds of nothing, it then opens a separate window that says 'blender.org is not responding, windows is searching for a solution' and blender 2.66 just closes. If anyone has a solution, please help?[/b]

Tehrasha

Post by Tehrasha » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:55 pm

The console (command prompt window) is a normal beginning for Blender.
The 'blender is not responding' is Windows saying something is wrong.

Are you sure that you have the proper 32/64bit version for your machine?

I just downloaded the 64-bit ZIP version of the latest 2.66 for my machine.

http://download.blender.org/release/Blender2.66/

I expanded the ZIP file, then entered the resulting directory and launched the blender.exe. The console popped up, then the main GUI appeared. Everything started fine.
Spacemice Wiki -- Input devices for a 3D world.
Spacemice / Blender Compatibility

Duncan009

Blender 2.68 does n't work at all on windows 7/ 64 bit

Post by Duncan009 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:16 pm

Blender 2.68 does n't work at all on windows 7/ 64 bit.

The Command promt screen shows for a short while and then disappears leaving nothing going on at all.

stiv

Post by stiv » Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:37 pm

Blender 2.68 does n't work at all on windows 7/ 64 bit.
The most common reason for Blender not running is a video card/video driver that does not do OpenGL. Specific hardware info might be interesting.

The other reason is some sort of library problem. If you can run blender from the command line, it might provide more info.

Duncan009

Post by Duncan009 » Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:51 pm

Thanks Stiv, but still it does n't start.

I went to the Open Gl site and checked the graphics drivers as it recommends. I went to the Device Manager and it said after looking on the web that the drivers were up todate. it also downloaded a heap of other updates.

The Command screen still opens and I thought I saw the word crash on it at one time. but it just closes and there is nothing going on.

what are libraries? How do I run Blender from the Command line?

I thought I had read somewhere that Blender should n't be too deep in the folders tree and I have a problem with that computer not opening anything in ' Compatable ' mode, run as vista, xp etc.

Has anyone else got a problem like this?

swaffette

Latest Blender not working

Post by swaffette » Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:19 pm

Duncan009 wrote:Thanks Stiv, but still it does n't start.

I went to the Open Gl site and checked the graphics drivers as it recommends. I went to the Device Manager and it said after looking on the web that the drivers were up todate. it also downloaded a heap of other updates.

The Command screen still opens and I thought I saw the word crash on it at one time. but it just closes and there is nothing going on.

what are libraries? How do I run Blender from the Command line?

I thought I had read somewhere that Blender should n't be too deep in the folders tree and I have a problem with that computer not opening anything in ' Compatable ' mode, run as vista, xp etc.

Has anyone else got a problem like this?
Yes Duncun exactly the same for me - i have run Blender for some years i have updated to the latest blender and suddenly it wont work at all - as you say crashes on start - runtime error - . I have updated my computer and i have updated my graphics card /software etc and nothing works :( I would love to have an answer to this. I too am on windows 7 64 bit

braza

Re: Latest Blender not working

Post by braza » Sun Sep 29, 2013 12:36 pm

swaffette wrote:
Yes Duncun exactly the same for me - i have run Blender for some years i have updated to the latest blender and suddenly it wont work at all - as you say crashes on start - runtime error - . I have updated my computer and i have updated my graphics card /software etc and nothing works :( I would love to have an answer to this. I too am on windows 7 64 bit
Same here. But stopped working just recently. Everything was fine for previous 2 weeks.

Any solutions?

swaffette

Re: Latest Blender not working

Post by swaffette » Sun Sep 29, 2013 1:20 pm

Same here. But stopped working just recently. Everything was fine for previous 2 weeks.

Any solutions?[/quote]

Mine was a confliction with an older version of Blender and 'python' - I thought because i had kept it separately and had to run it when i needed it rather than it being installed it would be ok - but when i removed the older version or more specifically ' Jass-2 installer for blender' i found my blender 2.6a works perfectly.

stiv

Post by stiv » Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:57 pm

1) Download blender for your platform and unpack the archive.

2) Open a terminal window | Dos Box | Command Window | Whatever they call it these days. (it's that thing you type commands like the following into!)

3) In your terminal window, change to the directory/folder where you unpacked the blender archive

4) Run the blender executable from the terminal window

5) report any interesting messages. (anyone who just says "I'ts not working. What do I do now?" gets banned forever. OK, just kidding. Sort of)

Kartten0

Post by Kartten0 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:55 am

Command Prompt says: "Writing: C:\Users\Sherry\AppData\Local\Temp\blender.crash.txt"

blender.crash.txt says: "# Blender 2.68 (sub 0), Revision: 58537"