Old Feature Removal

General discussion about the development of the open source Blender

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

Scott Amsberry

Old Feature Removal

Post by Scott Amsberry » Sun Oct 20, 2013 3:31 pm

In following the recent UI discussions @ Blender Nation, I became aware of the conflict in removing old features. The main example was the star background.

Rather than removing such things completely, would it make sense if these old features were re-implemented as add-ons?

I am not a coder, so I don't know if this would achieve the desired objectives in removing these old features. It seems to me, however, that if these features are not being replaced with better alternatives, it would be a way to allow users to still access them as needed, while cleaning up clutter in the UI for most users.

stiv

Post by stiv » Sun Oct 20, 2013 4:34 pm

Blender 2.5x was a re-write of a large part of Blender's internals. Most people saw it as a change to the User Interface, but that was mainly a side effect of re-writing Blender's event handling.

Some old features were not ported over from old Blender to new Blender. Stars could well be one, I have not checked. Whether it makes more sense to add/port features as an add-on or internal code really depends on whether the basics exist in Blender's internals. Add-ons can only make use of what is already there.

Scott Amsberry

Post by Scott Amsberry » Sun Oct 20, 2013 4:57 pm

Stars do exist in current versions. I'm not thinking in terms of reincarnating dead features.

My question relates to a discussion between Thomas Dinges, Campbell Barton, and Andrew Price. They talked about the DESIRE to remove old features and getting resistance from within the userbase.

So my question really is:
1) Would it make sense to take those old features the devs WANT to remove out of the internal code and re-port them as add-ons?
2) Is that even do-able?

CoDEmanX

Post by CoDEmanX » Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:07 pm

really depends on the feature... do you have any examples?
I'm sitting, waiting, wishing, building Blender in superstition...