Batch Convert to Toon

Scripting in Blender with Python, and working on the API

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

levonas

Batch Convert to Toon

Post by levonas » Sat Nov 02, 2013 6:19 pm

So I found a script on wikipedia for batch toon convert but running it does nothing but return errors. There goes that.
Does anyone know of a script or an upcoming feature to batch convert all shading to toon? I believe it would be relatively simple to script something based off what I saw on wikipedia to allow for a batch convert of diffuse and specular over to toon and at what value all should be set at.
I would sure beat doing one at a time on large scenes!

stiv

Post by stiv » Sat Nov 02, 2013 7:30 pm

running it does nothing but return errors.
This being the Blender development forum, the first thing when anyone mentions error messages is we ask what the errors are.

Some more detail on what you are doing would be helpful. Also you might ask at blenderartists.org .

As far as I know (which isn't far!), there are two ways to get a to0n look:

One is to run an edge detector on your existing footage and do some compositing/post-processing.

The other is to generate the toon look at render time from the geometry - basically using a toon shader.

levonas

Post by levonas » Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:43 pm

stiv wrote:
running it does nothing but return errors.
This being the Blender development forum, the first thing when anyone mentions error messages is we ask what the errors are.
...there are two ways to get a to0n look:
One is to run an edge detector on your existing footage and do some compositing/post-processing.
The other is to generate the toon look at render time from the geometry - basically using a toon shader.
On the subject of the actual toon look, that is not what I am looking for. I am very clear on how. There are toon settings for diffuse and specular right in the materials block, and love mixing it with freestyle and texturing. Very very useful for comic making.
On the topic of the errors, certainly. It is actually riddled with errors as I think it needs updating. I just found it in the blenderartist forum archives as well; http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthr ... b71c0335fa
Try running that and you will see first hand what I mean rather than trying to explain it all.

stiv

Post by stiv » Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:54 pm

Code: Select all

import Blender
That statement is from the Old Blender API - 2.49. Actually, since the post is dated 14-Jan-06, probably an even older version. You either need a newer version of the script or an older version of Blender.

This is why error messages are important.

levonas

Post by levonas » Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:14 pm

stiv wrote:

Code: Select all

import Blender
That statement is from the Old Blender API - 2.49. Actually, since the post is dated 14-Jan-06, probably an even older version. You either need a newer version of the script or an older version of Blender.
This is why error messages are important.
Exactly. I didn't dispute any fact there. I just didn't want to try and give all the errors because it is every line.
I know when it was from and is why I stated that I think it needs updating. That is the trick right there. I blow things up for a living, I don't program python scripts so finding the kind and skilled soul that can and will update this is the trick.