bf-blender / Windows (2005/03/23)

User-contributed CVS development builds. Please test and give feedback!

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

Bellorum

Post by Bellorum »

Rahu wrote:Can anyone post a screen of the new transform widget for those of us who are too lazy to download cvs and compile.
I would separate the "handles" a bit for easier grabbing (got the rotation-one by mistake several times) and make this the default widget, if you guys insist on cycling. That way I don't have to :P
There's no such thing as democracy. There's only the tyranny of one, and the tyranny of many.

Samjh

Post by Samjh »

I've been away from Blender since the release of 2.36. Man, am I glad to be back! The widgets are a blessing, although I think the act of having to cycle from transformation modes using a key, defeats the whole purpose of having a visual widget.

Otherwise, it's looking strong!

Zsolt

Post by Zsolt »

Question: how to switch between local and global widgets?
The builds from several days ago, with the first widget versions defaulted to showing the widgets in local coordinate space.
But now everything only shows up in global coordinates, which isn't very good, how many times do you need to scale for example an object in global coordinates instead of along its own axes?

Bellorum

Post by Bellorum »

Question: how to switch between local and global widgets?
Click in the center will switch.
There's no such thing as democracy. There's only the tyranny of one, and the tyranny of many.

-efbie-

Post by -efbie- »

Here is two things that comes to my mind when i use the widgets :
* the shading isn't good. the 3D aspect of the widget make it look like it is a real element of the scene and not a virtual thing that helps the user. It feels strange when you zoom in and out that the widget doesn't scale. If it was in plain color this effect would be i think less apparent.

* the center ball obstruct the view. You can't see the vertex that you are manipulating. I think it could be replaced by a simple circle.

iaminnocent

Post by iaminnocent »

Try as might I can't get out of my head that there shouldn't be so much difference in handling between the local and global transfo. Same widget with just a marker (the color of the center ball ?) to tell if we are in local or global mode. That's a simple matter of consistency.

The "All-in-One" widget is a mess that can't be fixed : there are too many occasions where selecting the right transfo will entail a change of view prior. I always prefered Blender's transformations over Maya's for that reason.

Jean

iaminnocent

Post by iaminnocent »

Efbie :

would a degree of transparence (like for the Nkey dialog for example, if possible) work for you ? I'd like that, especially if it was possible to set it in the Preferences. I don't like the idea of a grayish widget so much.

Boy that must be quite a trip to try to satisfy everybody for the devs ;)

Jean

-efbie-

Post by -efbie- »

yes a transparence would be nice too, but i don't know if so much transparence everywhere would be a nice for the performances. This is just ideas, i won't use the widget anyway :)

Bellorum

Post by Bellorum »

I was thinking - couldn't we at least keep full screen in Tuhopuu, since that's experimental anyways? I just can't let this go, I know :?

dmao

Post by dmao »

Like everyone else, I have bad things to say about the widgets ;)

First the bugs:
1) clicking on the center of the scale widget (without moving the mouse) scales the selection 2%
2) With rotation widget rt:2, the arc of the axes' circles is dependant on zoom. For example, zoom in to where you're 1/2 unit away from the selection, and the axes will disappear

Now the comments suggestions:
1) Ctrl for switching is awful :) To quote the log: "[G,S,R] was blocking immediate hotkey access for normal blendering."

Blocking what exactly? G,S,R have always been taken. And it's not like you can add a feature using G,S,R hotkeys, since those keys are still used when not in widget mode. Another reason it's awful- pressing Ctrl-(Up/Down/Left/Right) to switch scenes or maximize/minimze windows changes manipulator mode.

2) The new middle mouse button constraints for rotation are also awful :). Completely unintuitive- just try posing an armature with it. Please return it to MMB = Trackball
3) Making the lines for widgets thicker and using them as handles as well.
4) Themable options- shading and transparency. To me, shading on the widgets looks out of place, especially when the lines are unshaded and much brighter than the handles (see #3 ;)). I'd prefer to have unshaded, halfway transparent widgets.

TorQ

Post by TorQ »

A few things on the new transform stuff. I agree with dmao that the lines of the widget should also be selectable. Using the CTRL key to switch modes isn't very intuitive. I also agree with comments that the widgets center dot obscures the view a bit too much.

theeth

Post by theeth »

dmao wrote:2) The new middle mouse button constraints for rotation are also awful :). Completely unintuitive- just try posing an armature with it. Please return it to MMB = Trackball
Just press Rkey twice. Nothing lost, just as easy as before to access.

Martin
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans.
- John Lennon

TorQ

Post by TorQ »

I also forgot to mention that I would hate to see the full screen button go away!

Zsolt

Post by Zsolt »

Click in the center will switch.
Ahh, thanks! How could I have guessed that?
Problem: there's no visual feedback on whether you're in local mode or global.

Wow, this is probably the one test build that has gotten the most commments! Poor coders can't keep up with all our needs! :)

Bellorum

Post by Bellorum »

Problem: there's no visual feedback on whether you're in local mode or global.
Yup. Would be nice to have.
I also forgot to mention that I would hate to see the full screen button go away!
Too late :(