Big list of feature requests

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

Mohij

Big list of feature requests

Post by Mohij » Thu May 05, 2005 3:29 pm

Hello,
this is a collection of feature requests that I think would be usefull. I know that some of them are posted already, but I want to post them again as a <<ME TOO>>.

1.When rendering halos it is possible to render rings and lines OVER the halo, but it is not possible to switch the halo off and only render rings and/or lines. Would be cool being able to switch the halo of just like the lines or rings.

2.A grabbing/scaling relative to the faces direction (like X/Y/Z after a grab/scale relative to the faces direction). Directly after an extrusion (no grab/scale/rotate) the shrinken/fatten moves the face without scaling it. But when the face is already a bit away, it is scaled. My idea would be to use the XYZ keys to tell the shrinken fatten command in what direction (relative to the faces direction) to move. Perhaps this feature is allready implemented but I didn't found it, neither in blender, nor in the manual or the forums. A combination with number 4 would be ultra cool.

3.An extrude along path function for meshes not for nurbs or beziers. I know Dupliframes and Dupliverts but they(as far as I know) don't extrude the first object but just duplicate the mesh and place the copies along a path.

4.A scale/rotate individual faces. When more than one face is selected, blender rotates/scales around the center of all these faces. A feature that rotates/scales each face individually would be cool.

5.When grabbing/scaling/rotating the mouse still moves on the screen, so when the mouse hits the sides, top or bottom of the screen you have to finish scaling/grabbing/rotating and move the mouse again to the middle of the screen and start again. A cool solution would be to stick the mouse to the middle of the screen when scaling/rotating/grabbing. The UnrealEd (Unreal Editor http://udn.epicgames.com/Two/UnrealEngi ... me22262001) for example already has this feature. This would speed up work flow extremely.

6.Scaling two axis at once. When pressing X/Y/Z it is possible to scale one axis but when I want to scale along two, for example along X and Y but not Z, I have to either scale X and Y individualy or scale all and then Z back. Perhaps like pressing Z once scales only the Z axis pressing it twice scales X and Y but not Z.

7.In the transform properties it is possible to enter exact values. I think three more fields for entering absolute X/Y/Z values would be usefull. For example when moving certain points to the Z-Axis for rotation
. Or when I want to get some vertices of an object to the same height.

8.When two objects are joined to one or even when verticies are duplicated and seperated from a mesh (no connecting faces) but still in the same object the Catmul-Clark Subsurf function subsurfs the objects to the individual, means to two different object centers. I think a feature to subsurf them to the same object center would be usefull. I think this this is hard to implement, but it would be very usefull.
Image Image
without subsurf, with subsurf, subsurf method I proposed

The following points arose from the idea of enriching Blender with more Game Level Editor like functions.

9.The possibility of absolute viewport movement, something like in 1st-person camera games. The mouse moves the view direction and the arrow keys move the view forward, backward, left and right. I know about the
Shift-F function when the camera is selected. But that function only works when the viewport is switched to camera view and the camera is selected. And this movement is not really usable for moving through level like areals. The zoom function is not usable for that at all, it only zooms in to a certain degree and not further. It is perfect for moddeling a single object, but not for creating levels because they are made up of a lot of different objects. Perhaps when the middle mouse button is pressed the arrow keys work as movement keys. A real turntable viewrotation would be usefull in this case.

10.The possibllity to turn off free object movement, means forced snap to grid. This is very usefull when creating the base structure of a level. Like in GTK-Radiant (the official quake-engine map editor http://www.qeradiant.com), where all cuboid objects are created just by pulling the mouse over the grid (which is always horizontal) and the cube occurs with the length and width the mouse pulled but always snaped to the grid. A forced snap to grid is very important when creating the basic structure of a level, because the structuring objects (outer hull of level) have to enclose the level without a gap. It is easily much more simple to create a level with a fixed snap to grid. Also the snap to grid should be adjustable, means to which level of gridlines should be snaped to, perhaps adjusted by the zoom factor (more zoomed out means snap to bigger grid, zoomed in means snap to tight grid).

11.A boolean operation that considers the insides of a mesh. When two cubes are aligned with their faces touching, the boolean union sometimes keeps parts of the inner faces or creates new ones inside. This makes the boolean operation useless for creating the outer hull of a level out of different objects by unioning them and selecting onesided and recalculate normals inside. This method would be so easy and even much better than in GTK-Radiant.

12.The decimator tool should have the possibility to automatically decimate the mesh until it changes shape. This would be very usefull after a boolean operation, which creates alot more vertecies than necessary.

Hope everything is understandable, if not post. Please give critics, solutions and ideas.
Last edited by Mohij on Thu May 05, 2005 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Even a fool is thought wise if he keeps silent, and discerning if he holds his tongue. Proverbs 17,28

z3r0_d

Re: Big list of feature requests

Post by z3r0_d » Thu May 05, 2005 5:28 pm

Mohij wrote:Hello,
this is a collection of feature requests that I think would be usefull. I know that some of them are posted already, but I want to post them again as a <<ME TOO>>.
yay, someone requesting features blender doesn't already have!!!
Mohij wrote:3.An extrude along path function for meshes. I know Dupliframes and Dupliverts but they(as far as I know) don't extrude the first object but just duplicate the mesh and place the copies along a path.
did you know about the BevOb option for curves/paths?

specify the name of a cuve object there and it is extruded along the path...
Mohij wrote:5.When grabbing/scaling/rotating the mouse still moves on the screen, so when the mouse hits the sides, top or bottom of the screen you have to finish scaling/grabbing/rotating and move the mouse again to the middle of the screen and start again. A cool solution would be to stick the mouse to the middle of the screen when scaling/rotating/grabbing. The UnrealEd (Unreal Editor http://udn.epicgames.com/Two/UnrealEngi ... me22262001) for example already has this feature. This would speed up work flow extremely.
it would also require a change in how blender handles input for scaling and such

currently you move the mouse towards some point on screen to scale down, away from it to scale up

and rotation would be around that point on screen

if the cursor is hidden it would have to change to something like move the mouse up to scale up, down to scale down, up to rotate counter-clockwise, down for clockwise....
Mohij wrote:6.Scaling two axis at once. When pressing X/Y/Z it is possible to scale one axis but when I want to scale along two, for example along X and Y but not Z, I have to either scale X and Y individualy or scale all and then Z back. Perhaps like pressing Z once scales only the Z axis pressing it twice scales X and Y but not Z.
pressing it twice does something already, iirc once is the local axis, twice is for global [or vice versa, I forget because I don't use that feature]
Mohij wrote:8.When two objects are joined to one or even when verticies are duplicated and seperated from a mesh (no connecting faces) but still in the same object the Catmul-Clark Subsurf function subsurfs the objects to the individual, means to two different object centers. I think a feature to subsurf them to the same object center would be usefull. I think this this is hard to implement, but it would be very usefull.
umm, what?

it isn't at all clear what you're asking for there

Surt

Post by Surt » Fri May 06, 2005 1:00 am

Mohij wrote:10. ...Also the snap to grid should be adjustable, means to which level of gridlines should be snaped to, perhaps adjusted by the zoom factor (more zoomed out means snap to bigger grid, zoomed in means snap to tight grid).
You can adjust the grid size in the view properties panel. It's Under view menu in 3D view header.
You can set snapping as default behaviour under View & Controls in the User Preferences menu.
z3r0_d wrote:
Mohij wrote:5.When grabbing/scaling/rotating the mouse still moves on the screen, so when the mouse hits the sides, top or bottom of the screen you have to finish scaling/grabbing/rotating and move the mouse again to the middle of the screen and start again. A cool solution would be to stick the mouse to the middle of the screen when scaling/rotating/grabbing. The UnrealEd (Unreal Editor http://udn.epicgames.com/Two/UnrealEngi ... me22262001) for example already has this feature. This would speed up work flow extremely.
it would also require a change in how blender handles input for scaling and such

currently you move the mouse towards some point on screen to scale down, away from it to scale up

and rotation would be around that point on screen

if the cursor is hidden it would have to change to something like move the mouse up to scale up, down to scale down, up to rotate counter-clockwise, down for clockwise....
Just grabbing based on mouse mickeys would be a godsend. As grabbing in based on relational cursor position rather than absolute cursor postion, it is only logical that it shouldn't be restricted by absolute cursor position. Not to mention that it is really annoying as Mohij said.

But any transform based on mouse mickeys should be reasonable, as you can see changes on the object being transformed and see the values in the 3d window header. Scaling could be assisted by an arrow pointing to the relative position of the mouse, possibly scaled to indicate distance. Rotation could be similarly indicated, but also with an arc from zero degrees to the rotated angle.
z3r0_d wrote:
Mohij wrote:6.Scaling two axis at once. When pressing X/Y/Z it is possible to scale one axis but when I want to scale along two, for example along X and Y but not Z, I have to either scale X and Y individualy or scale all and then Z back. Perhaps like pressing Z once scales only the Z axis pressing it twice scales X and Y but not Z.
pressing it twice does something already, iirc once is the local axis, twice is for global [or vice versa, I forget because I don't use that feature]
Axes could be multi-selected along the lines of object/vertex selecting. Just hit the proper key to select that axis and deselect others, or hold shift to toggle selection of that axis, leaving the selection state of the other axes intact.

Mohij

Post by Mohij » Wed Jul 06, 2005 3:24 pm

z3r0_d wrote:
Mohij wrote:3.An extrude along path function for meshes. I know Dupliframes and Dupliverts but they(as far as I know) don't extrude the first object but just duplicate the mesh and place the copies along a path.
did you know about the BevOb option for curves/paths?
I meant an extrude along path for MESHES, like a mesh circle, not curves or paths.
Even a fool is thought wise if he keeps silent, and discerning if he holds his tongue. Proverbs 17,28

theeth

Post by theeth » Thu Jul 07, 2005 7:10 am

2. The manipulator does that already. I have code here to extend this to normal transform.

4. It's in the plans.

6. Constraining transform on two axis is already possible, just press Shift-X/Y/Z to lock on axis you want to keep in place. For example: Shift-Z results in motion on the XoY plane.

7. In Edit mode, that panel has a toggle between local and global coordinates.

8. Subsurf is doesn't depend on the center, so I don't see where you're going with that...

Martin
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans.
- John Lennon

Mohij

Post by Mohij » Thu Jul 07, 2005 5:36 pm

So the points that REALLY aren't in there in some way :oops: are:
Mohij wrote:1.When rendering halos it is possible to render rings and lines OVER the halo, but it is not possible to switch the halo off and only render rings and/or lines. Would be cool being able to switch the halo of just like the lines or rings.

3.An extrude along path function for meshes not for nurbs or beziers. I know Dupliframes and Dupliverts but they(as far as I know) don't extrude the first object but just duplicate the mesh and place the copies along a path.

5.When grabbing/scaling/rotating the mouse still moves on the screen, so when the mouse hits the sides, top or bottom of the screen you have to finish scaling/grabbing/rotating and move the mouse again to the middle of the screen and start again. A cool solution would be to stick the mouse to the middle of the screen when scaling/rotating/grabbing. The UnrealEd (Unreal Editor http://udn.epicgames.com/Two/UnrealEngi ... me22262001) for example already has this feature. This would speed up work flow extremely.

9.The possibility of absolute viewport movement, something like in 1st-person camera games. The mouse moves the view direction and the arrow keys move the view forward, backward, left and right. I know about the
Shift-F function when the camera is selected. But that function only works when the viewport is switched to camera view and the camera is selected. And this movement is not really usable for moving through level like areals. The zoom function is not usable for that at all, it only zooms in to a certain degree and not further. It is perfect for moddeling a single object, but not for creating levels because they are made up of a lot of different objects. Perhaps when the middle mouse button is pressed the arrow keys work as movement keys. A real turntable viewrotation would be usefull in this case.

10.The possibllity to turn off free object movement, means forced snap to grid. This is very usefull when creating the base structure of a level. Like in GTK-Radiant (the official quake-engine map editor http://www.qeradiant.com), where all cuboid objects are created just by pulling the mouse over the grid (which is always horizontal) and the cube occurs with the length and width the mouse pulled but always snaped to the grid. A forced snap to grid is very important when creating the basic structure of a level, because the structuring objects (outer hull of level) have to enclose the level without a gap. It is easily much more simple to create a level with a fixed snap to grid. Also the snap to grid should be adjustable, means to which level of gridlines should be snaped to, perhaps adjusted by the zoom factor (more zoomed out means snap to bigger grid, zoomed in means snap to tight grid).

11.A boolean operation that considers the insides of a mesh. When two cubes are aligned with their faces touching, the boolean union sometimes keeps parts of the inner faces or creates new ones inside. This makes the boolean operation useless for creating the outer hull of a level out of different objects by unioning them and selecting onesided and recalculate normals inside. This method would be so easy and even much better than in GTK-Radiant.

12.The decimator tool should have the possibility to automatically decimate the mesh until it changes shape. This would be very usefull after a boolean operation, which creates alot more vertecies than necessary.
With point 10 I meant completely turning the possibility for free alignment off, a "snap all vertices of all selected objects to grid", with an adjustable gridlevel, would also do it.
Especially the 3rd and 11th point are really really help full.
Point 12 is only a workaround for a good boolean operation, so better a better boolean operation instead of point 12.

Thanks for all comments and corrections so far.

UncleZeiv

Post by UncleZeiv » Tue Oct 11, 2005 4:45 pm

5 [...] A cool solution would be to stick the mouse to the middle of the screen when scaling/rotating/grabbing.
Could be wierd initially but useful nonetheless. I agree with this one.
9. [...] absolute viewport movement, something like in 1st-person camera games
I often think that it would turn out handy.
12.The decimator tool should have the possibility to automatically decimate the mesh until it changes shape
I agree. This would delete useless vertices also after joining symmetric meshes, and in many other cases.

_dave_